New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Benelli semi auto shotguns. Anyone having problems while hunting where the bolt moves a tiny bit and the gun will not fire.

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
That happened to me out in California. Opporunity of a lifetime. A flock of 20 cinnamon teal in my face locked up at 20 yards dumping into the blocks and the damn super black eagle I was using didnt fire! Same issue, bolt didnt fully close. Benelli made my shit list after that. Never had any shotgun in my entire life do that, and for the price tag you have got to be kidding me. I tried it again and it seems it was an issue no fully closing when riding the bolt home. My buddy dropped a nice wall hanger drake, and for me not even a shot![wallmad][wallmad]

·
Registered
299 Posts
Let that bolt slam home ! I allmost missed a deer cause it was not fully locked and closed. I allways check now. Love my gun 100 yrds and 2.5" Group with lightfields

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
I notice the same with mine, I make sure the bolt closes and bolt head rotates (probably like a 1/8 turn) shut. It will do this if you just hit the push button to close the bolt but obviously while deer/predator hunting this is entirely too loud...so you have to do it slower manually.

·
Registered
533 Posts
if its an older SBE or been used a bunch , you might wanna check the recoil spring. the bolt will also move if the stock is bumped or hit hard , not sure if built that way , but it does.

·
Registered
481 Posts
have heard a few benelli owners say the exact same thing, ive been considering one but i find this issue to be a big turn off, mostly because of the price of the firearm.

·
Registered
533 Posts
dont get me wrong , its still hands down the best shotgun i’ve ever owned. I just have to make sure to check the bolt if it gets knocked around. It is actually a good safety. If you drop your gun in the boat or wherever and its not on safety the bolt moving will prevent the gun from firing if the trigger is hit. It might actually be built into the gun, never asked.

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
In reality for the price of the gun and the benelli name behind it i feel it's a design flaw in that weapon. I mean the excuse behind you have to slam the bolt closed is not a good one for a 1700 dollar auto loader. 90 percent of the time on my beretta, 1100, or browning I don't slam the bolt home for fear of spooking deer in the woods because that sound will travel. I never had to double check that my bolt was fully closed after riding it closed on my 1100, 11-58, beretta, gold, a5,1187,or my pops mag 10. Just a thought.

·
Registered
13,234 Posts
I have a SBII yes as others said the bolt has to be slammed shut, you should get used to looking at the way it is when its closed....I dont know what you guys are doing but ive done plenty of deer drives with the gun and gone through thickets and havent had any problems.....dont go dropping an expensive gun I guess[ko]

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
It doesn't HAVE to be slammed shut. When I'm trying to be quiet I ease the bolt closed and then rotate the bolt with my finger. No slamming and no noise no missed opportunity. I also check it occasionally while on stand just to be sure. Once you learn your weapon and get used to it, it will become automatic.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I have a sbI and two sbII's . Never had a problem with any of them . I also have 2 monofeltro's and have not had any problem with those either .

1 - 20 of 36 Posts