New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been quite a long time since I've posted here but I've been meaning to. Fishing has been great so far this season so I thought I'd share.

I went down to South Carolina in early March for an FLW tourney. The week before we arrived, the air temp had been around 60 so we were looking forward to a great week. But we arrived to a couple of inches of snow on the ground. We couldn't practice fish for 2 days, and I only caught 1 fish before the tourney started. But on the day of the tournament, I hooked 2 nice keepers which got me 20th place amongst a co-angler field of 160 and a decent little check.

Tourney Morning - waiting for our flight

The only pre-tournament fish

Last Saturday, I took a trip with my new neighbor on the Prowler V. I blanked but he hit a nice Black which seemed to be minutes away from giving birth. A couple quick picks and she was released.

I recently moved into a nice little spot on the South Branch so my girlfriend and I decided to buy some kayaks this past weekend. I've been noticing some serious carp activity across from my dock so we decided to head over there for the first outing. Within the first 15 minutes, I hooked into a strong 7 pounder while my girlfriend was taking some photos. Caught a smaller one that evening also, but not worth the picture.

Right off the Jeep and 5 minutes from launch

First Cast

First Fight

First Fish!

A couple of nights ago I decided to try for some pike from the kayak using some small bluegills I had caught on the fly. Well, I blanked but decided to cast out one of the dead gills from the dock when I got home. I camped out, waiting, but never heard the drag. When I was dressed and ready for work, I went to retrieve the rod and the line was completely played out to the knot. I had just spooled the thing with about 350 yards. It was snagged and I didn’t have time to fix it, so I decided to leave it until lunch. When I go home, I took the kayak out and followed that line for about a half an hour as it zig-zagged across the river. When I finally got to the end, no fish. But, I’m encouraged because the bluegill was quite large and whatever had it would have been a great catch. I’ll probably try again tonight.

Last night, as my girlfriend and I were about to head in from paddling, my line drag finally started screaming. The fish seemed bigger so I pulled anchor and surfed him for a while. I got the camera out of my hatch and handed it to my girlfriend who then took some excellent shots of the 20 minute fight. A nice 10 pounder.

About 10 minutes into the fight, she's got me in the lily pads

I had to jump ship to land her

And my biggest fish of the year so far was about 2 weeks ago. I hooked into this 15lb bruiser at a nearby pond. I haven’t fished carp much and I know why people don’t like them, but they are the biggest and strongest freshwater fish around here and they make my reels sound so good [cool]

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
[up][up]

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
[up][smoke][up]

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
welcome back.. Great pix and congrats on the tourney! 20th in that lineup is amazing for a yankee[rofl]

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Cool. Nice pics.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Broncosbp - This tournament was my first but I've been considering following a trail next year. The guy behind me on the boat just got me into it and has introduced me to a few people from Iaconelli's old bass club. Everybody I've come across has been great - I really need to join up somewhere.

Everybody - Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
great pics man [up][up]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts