New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shoot or dont shoot? I will not shoot a little cub, but I'm still divided on Mama bear. What do you guys and gals think?.....

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree. After seeing mama and her cubs on tuesday it made me think about it. Figured I would throw it out there and see what others think. It was real cool to watch how mama bear kept tabs on her cubs....

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Just a question. When do bears give birth? I'm guess spring time, just like deer.

David

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
David, the sows give birth in the den during the winter.

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
How close by does a sow stay with her cubs. If I see a sow and I have time should I wait and see if cubs are following.Or are they always very close together.
The only time Ive ever seen a sow with cubs the cubs where actually about 40 yards in front of her.
Id hate to make the nmistake and shoot her and find out her Cubs where 50 yards behind her.
And if this was to happen would the cubs survive without her??

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
Cubs will usally stay pretty close to her not to far off mabye 20 or so yards. they also stay with mom for two years before she runs'em off to breed. with the leaves gone you should be able to tell quick if cubs are around. Kelsey Burgess says for the most part sows with young of the year cubs are denned up by now as well as pregnant sows. So most bear should be alone or sows with 2 year old cubs who'll be run off in the spring. as far as I know a 2 year old cub will be fine with out mom but I'm not willing to take the chance.

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
At this time of year you may have difficulty telling the difference between a sow and a yearling male. They may be about the same size. In any case the "cubs" will be old enough to fend for themselves. Shoot if you want.

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
How do you know their aren't cubs?
Where im hunting is on the edge of some heavy cover. I won't see the Bears coming out of this cover until there 50 yards from me. If they come from in front of me I can see a few hundred yards.
If your in open woods you should be able to see the cubs nearby. In heavy cover they may be there but you can't see them.
Im going to be as careful as possible and not shoot till Im sure theres no cubs.

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
And David Matty is correct the bear's are born somewhere around end of Feb. or March while the mother is denned up
Cubs are actually born in the den in January but usually stay denned until February-March.

·
Registered
889 Posts
When hunting for bear in Pa I always wait for a while to see if there are cubs behind a sow. If I miss the shot, I can live with that easier than I could knowing I shot a mama bear.

Kelsey Burgess says for the most part sows with young of the year cubs are denned up by now
Last years opener in Pa had a sow w/ two cubs under stand at first light. This year while driving deer, we pushed a huge sow (250-300#) w/ 3 cubs. So I wouldn't rely on them being denned up by now.

·
Banned
4 Posts
Now hunters are free to determine how or when the law applies to them? I hope anyone that illegally shoots a bear(if the hunt is stopped) is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. To everyone else....hope things go safely next week for both sides!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
rich,

A judge can make an emergency ruling / injunction of a law to be debated or determined at a later date. But they only do that when the evidence is enourmously against the issue at hand.

I dont see the enourmously strong evidence against the bear hunt, especially since there was a ruling last year and the ruling was followed this year. I'm not making any predictions because Im superstitous, but I don't think its getting stopped this year.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey welcome OpenTrails or NBK, who ever you are. I opened this thread just so you could see that us hunters are not just a bunch of killers. We really do care about our game and try to make good decisions when we are out there. There isnt one person who posted here that said go kill mama bear.But then again being an educated person with an open mind I'm sure you have realized this already. We all(Hunters and NJDFG)work together for a common goal, that being a healthy herd with safe numbers for us to live with. So next time you run into a hunter thank Him/Her for all their hard work!!....Thanks bowhuntnj

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Posted: 30 Nov 2005 8:43 PM

Currently Offline Posts: 759
Just a question. When do bears give birth? I'm guess spring time, just like deer.

David
They give birth while denned up in the winter. The newborn cubs are tiny. They grow fast by spring time they are the size of a raccoon.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts