New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would anyone like to see bear season seperated from open firearm. 2 years in a row I have had someone walk under my stand in search of a bear. Frustrating. Thoughts?

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
The Division would also like to see changes to the bear season in the future, but we needed to start somewhere.

The lower numbers are much more about bears denning early due to no acorns as well as 2 days of bad rains that kept most hunters out of the woods. The hunt is scheduled for next year, it's now an annual hunt.

·
Registered
8,028 Posts
Bucksnbows good news!
I think they may extend bear season if the numbers are low maybe 2 saturdays to take a few more bears?

·
Registered
888 Posts
I for one would not. I like the fact that it reduces the number of guns that would otherwise be shooting down more young bucks that could grow into big bucks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
30 min. Later 2 does under stand. Hope the bucks follow. I guess not to upset anymore. Will buy muzzleloader and go for bear next year myself. All bow this year.

·
Registered
21,476 Posts
I would love to see the NJF&G hold the 6 Day Black Bear Season in the 3rd week of November leading off with a 3 day archery hunt fallowed by a 3 day firearms hunt.

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
For the record, I have no idea what thoughts the Division has to alter future bear seasons, I just know they want changes. That said, I'd personally like to see some form of bow season and any gun season moved up earlier like PA does to avoid denning bears by that state's rifle deer season.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There go the 2 does. The bear hunter on a safari through the woods walked back through. Unbelievable.

·
Registered
12,826 Posts
i will never go to the gap for opener of 6 day anymore since they put bear season the same week..bunch of yahoos walking around every inch looking for a bear screwing others up..im for the bear hunt make it a week before or split 3 days in nov and the 3 days in dec

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Bucksnbows, has the division noticed a significant decrease in the number of deer taken during 6-day and been able to attribute it to the bear season being held the same week?

slayer1962, do you have intel leading to that possibility or is it just wishful thinking?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Open it for bow, allow us to bait and get in trees and watch the numbers of bears taken increase. So many other states allow this, i know we should be happy we have any season but there are things they can do if they really want to decrease the numbers. just my 2 cents

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
No matter where they put it you are going to have unhappy people. Put it before 6 day and you will hear the complaint of bear hunters putting the deer down after tromping through the woods. No win situation.

·
Registered
766 Posts
a seperate season would be nice, I like DropTine's suggestion.

hang in there Rump, I had the same frustation in Stokes today, I'm done with 6 day, let the orange army assault the woods tomorrow, I'm going private with the bow........ahh peace and quiet

·
Registered
766 Posts
PS - I think the F&G Bear Mngt Plans calls for a hunt in 2012, but I did not recall it stating anything after 2012. I need to go re-check the mgnt plan report now

1 - 20 of 21 Posts