New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever eaten bear.I am hearing mixed results as far as the edible qualities of it.I gues it's like anything else size,age how prepared etc.Any thoughts good recipes?:D

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I have never had it and have also heard mixed things. I would say like any other food it is how it is prepared and a persons taste. I can't wait to get one and try it out.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
The bears I got in Maine were baited bears. Garbage and donut eaters. The meat was real strong. And after helping to butcher the bear with the guide, and seeing him pull out 6" white worms from the meat,my taste buds ran and hid.
The best recipe I found for garbage fed bears, is to cut the meat into small chunks, fry it up and feed it to the dogs :p:p
I'm not saying that natural fed bears won't taste good.

·
Registered
9,577 Posts
Two years ago right before the first bear hunt, my son and I brought some bear meat into the Jersey Guys, Carton and Rossi at 101.5 we all ate it on the air. They agreed
bear meat was good. Its all in the preperation. You do have to cook them well due to parasites ( no diferent than pork) but if you prepare it well, it's just another meat.
FYI the worms your all talking about isnt directly in the meat, it actualy lies between the hide and the meat. Still a bit of a turn off to me. I've shot at least one bear a year for the past 22 years and I still give a large portion of the meat away. I'll keep just a few choice cuts and give the rest to some one in camp.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
if ya aint gonna eat it , dont shoot at it !
Amen Slugman....Too many yahoos out there that just wants to shoot a bear just to say they shot it. I don't like the meat and I have no desire to shoot one just for a trophy,and I hope no one else would do that either...yeah right.

·
Registered
9,577 Posts
I see nothiing wrong with hunting for an animal you have no intentions to eat.

We cant/ shouldnt hide behind the I eat what I kill ruse. If it's your thing to only shoot what you eat fine. But you shouldnt condem anyone for Hunting for a TROPHY.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I had stomach surgery back in June and again in

September and we all have worms in us. We get our

pets shots everyyear. I did alot of research on

these operation and believe me, you and I have

stomach/intestinal parasites.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I had a bear rump roast in Missouri that a friend brought over to a bar b que, he cooked it in a smoker. I was afraid to try it at first, but it was excellent! [up]

Not sure where he harvested the bear from though.

Good luck all on your hunt! Just have Mystic cook everyones bear and I'm sure it will taste great.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Slugman, have you ever had Bear meat?Nope , but dont hunt bear due to spiritual purposes. Its the closest animal to Man. Our link to the spirit world. If I did hunt bear there is a ritual that needs to be done. I'm just weird like that. Also , when you guys/gals take a buck , do you put his penis in the crook of a tree when your done field dressing him ? I'm big on indian ways , and it is considered disrespectful to leave the deers junk on the ground.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts