New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a two car garage in the front of my house you know the standard two garage doors. I was replacing the one door and had the other open while I was working. I was in the back of the open side getting a ladder and here come Mr. Bear walking right into the open garage while I am standing there. I had the 8 foot step ladder in my hand and I am looking at this 200lb bear walking into my garage. I yelled at him (yes it was a him) and he looked at me like whats your problem then he turned and walked outside. He then stood outside looking at me. I ran after him chasing him and yelling at him and he didn't want to leave. I had to chase him half way around my house before I had him scared enough to get him to start running. Then I had to call the nieghbors and warn them that I just sent a bear running into thier yard. I think he was used to people and was looking for a hand out. or he was last years cub and dont know any better. NO TAGS on this one either.

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
if i had a bear problem like u guys do...i would take a gun with me when im outside...it is 100% legal to carry a gun on ur property. [up]

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
They're getting too comfortable around us and it's just a matter of time . . .

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
They're getting too comfortable around us and it's just a matter of time . .
you got that right robin. [mad] the government will never do ANYTHING until someone is killed by a bear...then after johnny boy sh!ts himself a couple times cuz all the facts have been right in front of him the whole time...then we will have a bear hunt.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I would of shut the door (if possible) then blasted it with the shotgun. Im in Sussex county as well and see them a lot. They dont come that close to my house that much but do stray onto my property from time to time.

I can hear the headline...Man arrested after shooting bear while protecting his family.

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
I would of shut the door (if possible) then blasted it with the shotgun.
That was my first thought, but not necessarily closing the door, but would dull the blast.
Afterwords it's invite the neighbors for congratulations and praises for saving the neighborhood. Oh did I mention the BBQ.[tasty]

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unfortunatelly I gave up reporting bears years ago. The state doesn't care anymore. unless it's hurting someone. over the years I have had bears break several trees and the states response was "dont plant trees" They tell us if the bear is walking through the yard it's just a sighting and nothing to report. If I tell the it came into my garage they would just tell me to close the door. They would offer to set a trap but then I would only end up waiting for it. Then what happens when they catch a bear, when there's several of them walking around all they do is release it and condition it.

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
I can hear the headline...Man arrested after shooting bear while protecting his family.
just what i was thinking...[wallmad][wallmad]

·
Registered
282 Posts
i can understand your frustration at reporting it and not getting a reasonable reply, but the thing was in your house! it didn't just wander through your yard, and if the state doesn't get every legitamate bear complaint, how are we going to convince them to have a hunt. I don't really care about the hunt, only that it's the only way to bring the population to a reasonable number. I don't care who shoots them as long as something is done ASAP.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
shame on you for not having a "bear proof garage"

Just kidding, but really, man you are lucky.

Was this the same day the bears were out and about when the ice cream man was driving around?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.