New Jersey Hunters banner

Bear hit on Rt 23 (pics)

2K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  rackmaster 
#1 ·
Yesterday around 1:00pm, driving up rt 23 going to the Home Cheapo, I came across a bunch of people standing near a guardrail on the side of the highway(rt 23. A better look and realized that it was a bear, at first I thought it had just been hit, but after stopping and snapping a few pics I could see that it had been dead fo some time. What a shame. It would look better in a roasting pan and on the wall then next to a guardrail.

See less See more
#5 ·
Euthanization by automobile is part of Stuttering Jon's and the NJDEP's Comprehensive Bear Management Plan.

#6 ·
This is the 5th one I know about on 23. It will get to the point where bears are doing more damage to cars then deer. Once insurance companies start paying out more claims for damage due to bears then we may see some changes...

#10 ·
#17 ·
was that north of 287 right bye Rupert's restaurant ? wednesday night i was going home late on 23 the Butler pd had 23 closed in both directions the officer told me someone had hit a bear and they had to put it down shortly after i was stopped i heard a couple of shotgun blasts and the road reopened. The officer told me it is was a 400-600 lb male according to what he heard on the radio

#21 ·
Yes, It was right in front of Rupperts, on their side of the guardrail, in full view from their dining windows. By the time I pulled my camera out, there was only one young girl there, she was snapping pics on her cell phone, but she didn't say anything to me. I figured I might get an earful, I had a camo hat on, but she never said a word. here's another pic.

#23 ·
It was put down by Riverdale PD
Uh,oh. Time to move the protestors from Vernon to Riverdale.

Why wasn't a veternarian called to try to save the bear?

He only had a broken claw.

The Riverdale cops are a bunch of blood thirsty trophy hunters.

Close route 23, the bears were here first.

They'll have to get an old Teddy Bear, a cross and some artificial flowers and make a roadside memorial.[hihi]

#24 ·
On second thought, I think this may be a conspiracy by the police to shoot innocent bears in different towns to divide and conquer the anti bear hunt wactivists.[rofl][spy]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.