New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
11,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ANDREA LEVENE

Herald Staff Writer

WEST MILFORD — More than 100 demonstrators, including a few wearing bear costumes and carrying stuffed bears, protested Saturday on Route 23 at the corner of Canistear Road to oppose the upcoming bear hunt. Chanting "Kill the Hunt. Not the bears," and holding signs saying "Bullets are not science," the protesters stood on both sides of the highway encouraging motorists to honk their car horns in support.

The six-day hunt will start Dec. 5 and was approved last week by state Environmental Commissioner Bradley Campbell as a method to control the state's bear population. The last bear hunt was two years ago in which more than 300 bears were killed, which is what demonstration organizers are trying to prevent from happening again.

http://www.njherald.com/324447991092874.php

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I wanted to drive past them. If you read Venisoneatrs post he passed them and said there were only 30 protesters.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Did anyone see them? Were they plentiful like a ticks on a deer's [no swearing please] or sparse like trophy bucks in my sights?

I was going to drive by and confuse them by pumping my fist out my truck window and yelling "Deer hunters against bear hunting!!!" in my camo/orange, but I was busy scouting and managed to unexpectedly run into my buddy with his 11 year old doing the Youth Deer Day thing so I wound up hanging with them the rest of the day.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
There were no more than 50 and it really looked more like thirty fat frustrated house wives on the North bound side of Rt. 23 The South bound side had a few news crew camera guys... I wonder how many were wearing leather jackets???

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
well over 100
Wishful thinking and sour grapes all rolled into one statement!
Just out of curiosity NBK do you reside in bear inhabited parts of NJ??

·
Banned
137 Posts
VENISONEATR - What part is wishful thinking? I saw it with my own eyes and every article I've seen says 100 protesters. By the way, yes I live in bear inhabited areas. I see bear in the woods by my house frequently. Why do hunters think all ARAs live in urban areas?

MSMORRIS - I am not inflating the count.

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
By the way, Eric Bunk's quote "Hurting animals is just a fact of life." was a misquote. Eric's actual quote was "HUNTING animals is just a fact of life."

A correction will be printed shortly.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Papers are notorious for inflating facts. When I saw the pathetic group of misguided individuals there was no more than 50. I wonder how many stopped at the hot dog truck on the south bound side of Rt. 23. To me you are a hypocrite. When your home was built it dispersed wildlife. The fields that were cultivated to grow your vegetables dispersed wildlife. Several people on here have asked you to state a sound management plan for NJ's bears and yet you remain silent. I pity you and at the same time I would like to thank you for providing us with a source of entertainment. I find your existance comical to the point of being pathetic.

·
Registered
231 Posts
When I saw the pathetic group of misguided individuals there was no more than 50And some of those were children. What kind of person prostitutes their 4 year old to stand on the side of a busy highway for their cause.

This was their media event and everyone in the tri-state was invited but even if it was 100 that is a poor showing.

·
Banned
137 Posts
when did you go by venison?
bloodtrails....the article I read on it stated hunting not hurting. what paper messed up his quote?
Bowhunter and venisoneatr....you don't know me so how can you know if I am a hypocrite? I'm glad you think I am comical because I could care less about what you think of me.
And as far as sound managment I have said it over and over....education and strict garbage laws...they work. But it if doesn't involve killing than hunters don't want to hear it. Your concern about nature and balance ends at the kill. That is why you are so closed minded to any other solutions.

·
Banned
137 Posts
a few children yes...why should children that enjoy seeing bears have to deal with your sport? you are in the minority.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts