New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm pulling into the enclosure I work in at picatinny I see this gaurd I know in his hunting clothes I figures he shot a deer and I was going to help him find it. I get up to him and he shouts."That friggen bear got my doe". I look over about 60 yards at the base of a rock wall and sure enough there is the bear Standing over the doe. He had only shot the deer 20 minutes earlier. he saw it go down and bam there was the bear out of nowhere chomping away on one of the hind quaters. We tried to scare the bear away but it kept circling and began to get more agitated,eventualy dragging the deer over the rock wall dissapearing from sight. I felt bad for the guy. but what can you do? I wasnT about to try and rip the deer away from the bear.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
I was at my nephew's house in Andover this afternoon and we had a young bear visit the party. We were inside and my niece looked out and there he was just outside the window. He was attmpting to open the garbage can. A little tap on the window and opening of the door to yell put him back into the woods.
A 2 year old about 125-150 lbs. Very nice coat and healthy looking bear.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
that must stink to have a bear take away a bear that was just shot! never happened to me but i have shot birds that other hunters have taken from me...[down]

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jim I will tell him next time I see him

·
11,226 Posts

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
A few years ago I shot a doe in the evening 15 min before dusk. I let it be overnight. Back before dawn the next morning to track it. It went about 75 yds, was dragged about 10 and shared one of the hind quarters with a bruin. I saw the bear a few weeks prior in the same area. I won't let them sit overnight anymore unless absolutely neccessary.

B

·
0 Posts
Yesterday while checking my deer in at the Hainsville General Store, the owner said that the deer hunting has been slow up that way so far this season, but NUMEROUS HUNTERS ARE COMPLAINING OF SEEING LOTS OF BEARS, MORE THIS YEAR THEN IN YEARS PAST

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Good sign BHC in your area. I should have put in for that bear zone, but I don't deer hunt it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts