New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may remember some of my threads about the bear on my property. Well...went jogging out the back of my property and I see the bear watching from about 100 yards thru the hardwoods. 40 minutes later on the return trip to the house, I decided to check a few trails and 2 old fields for deer activity. I then see the bear in the old field watching me about 80 yards away. I proceed away from him and am checking a pinch point that is good during the rut and I see the bear coming.[eek] He comes to about 50 yards. I yelled [cry]and he stopped, just looking at me. I picked up a large branch and threw it at him and he ran about 20 yards and then started coming back. I threw 3 or 4 large rocks at him and he would back off a little and then come back. So, I throw a big rock and then start up the very steep hill to my house and he is following at about 50 yards. When I got out of sight over the steep hill I picked up the pace and got home. Have been watching my back trail out the window but haven't seen him. Not liking the way this bear is behaving. Just thought I would share the continuing saga. lol[lol]

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Did you notify F&G about the bears behavior? Do you carry any sort of protection when you go out?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
A couple weeks ago when I was walking out from checking one of my trail cams I had a younger bear that kept crossing my trail on the way out of the woods,back and fourth but after I got out and onto a main hiking trail I didn't see it anymore,I just figured he was curios.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Some of you may remember some of my threads about the bear on my property. Well...went jogging out the back of my property and I see the bear watching from about 100 yards thru the hardwoods. 40 minutes later on the return trip to the house, I decided to check a few trails and 2 old fields for deer activity. I then see the bear in the old field watching me about 80 yards away. I proceed away from him and am checking a pinch point that is good during the rut and I see the bear coming.[eek] He comes to about 50 yards. I yelled [cry]and he stopped, just looking at me. I picked up a large branch and threw it at him and he ran about 20 yards and then started coming back. I threw 3 or 4 large rocks at him and he would back off a little and then come back. So, I throw a big rock and then start up the very steep hill to my house and he is following at about 50 yards. When I got out of sight over the steep hill I picked up the pace and got home. Have been watching my back trail out the window but haven't seen him. Not liking the way this bear is behaving. Just thought I would share the continuing saga. lol[lol]
You gotta stop wearing the fuzzy thong when you jog n he won't follow ya

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you notify F&G about the bears behavior? Do you carry any sort of protection when you go out?
When I go running I don't carry anything. When I hunt or am checking the property I do. Did not contact fish and game. These bears around here are in peoples yards every day, see people everyday, and there are no negative consequences, so they are getting pretty brazen. Just don't know for sure what's on the bears mind? Is he looking for a handout or is he looking to make a meal out of me? I'm not afraid of bears and actually enjoy seeing them but I don't need them following me around!! lol

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
No, I don't think you are seeing what you are seeing. According to the BEAR people, if you make loud noises and wave your arms, the bear will go away. Since this creature kept following you, clearly, then, what you saw was not a bear. Perhaps it was a neighbor's cat... or something.

And you throwing rocks at it means you are provoking the bear so when you are eaten, it will be clear it was all your fault and not the poor bear, it was only doing what was natural for it to do. Er... or would running away be what is natural for it to do? Now I'm confusing myself....

Anyway, don't worry, according to the BEAR people "no one in the written history of New Jersey has ever been killed or seriously injured by a black bear." so nothing to fear.

·
Registered
275 Posts
me and a buddy have stands on either side of a ridge, there was a big one between us for 3 1/2 hours just roaming back and forth, then on the way out I have to bang on a bucket to get him to move and believe me he didn't move too fast...it seems this year I have bear at all 3 spots and they are not very timid....I guess this will be my first year bear hunting.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
me and a buddy have stands on either side of a ridge, there was a big one between us for 3 1/2 hours just roaming back and forth, then on the way out I have to bang on a bucket to get him to move and believe me he didn't move too fast...it seems this year I have bear at all 3 spots and they are not very timid....I guess this will be my first year bear hunting.
I hope they are still around by bear season, just about all of the big ones by me are denned up by the season.:confusion:

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
I keep telling everyone, if you just jingle your keys at them they will leave. Its gotta be true...I saw it on the internet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts