New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dont know all the details but i saw 2 helicopters and my friends dad whos a firefighter told me that there was a bear tranquilized on churchlane rd in wayne. So watch the news im sure it will be there a friend who went actually said the bear biologist did all the aging and measurements right on the spot where they darted it. GIVE US A HUNT!

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
My son saw one outside his dorm at WPSU last fall. [eek]

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
Wayne has seen dozens and dozens of bears over the years, so this is not a big deal. While Wayne no longer has huntable acreage, it is close to others towns with plenty of woods. I remember about 25+ years ago when the state had to tranquilize a bear in Wayne at the Motor Vehicles test driving center and that was before bears were considered wide spread in our state.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah bucksnbows i live in wayne like 5 minutes from where the bear was theres plenty of unhuntable acres of woods. Golfcourses and theres a couple places in wayne where theres 20-30 acre patches of woods.

·
Registered
14,787 Posts
The hunt is getting closer and closer[ninja]

Shoot Straight!

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
so this is not a big deal
Sorry, I know what you mean, but it really is a big deal in that it's in someone's backyard in their nice suburban home.

Someone call Stu, Janet, Angie, etc. and explain what "Safe Back Yards" are "REALLY" all about. Not having bears wander through while your kids are in their sand box.

[up]

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Why don't those people have bear proof garbage cans? They should all be fined.[eyeroll]

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
While Wayne no longer has huntable acreage, it is close to others towns with plenty of woods
Wayne itself has plenty of huntable woods although smaller than it was years ago. Unfortunatly Wayne, North Haledon and Haledon have no discharge laws.(I guess this is what you mean by no longer huntable) Some of these woods adjacent to High Mountain are in Franklyn Lakes...I think you can hunt there if you can find access.

tranquilize a bear in Wayne at the Motor Vehicles test driving
About 10-12 years ago there was a bear in one of the graveyards in Totowa. This may have been the same bear you mention. Also around that time there was a bear in Paterson, yes Paterson, near the Haledon border. Again perhaps the same bear.

·
Registered
714 Posts
bear proof garbage cans are a joke!!!!! they dont work..i have them,and i have a major bear problem here in highland lks at least 3-4 times a week..... but one bear sighing in wayne,and its all over the news.... !!!!!!! and NJ F&W ARE ALL OVER IT...... whats with that???????

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
News like this only brings us closer to the bear hunt.
That's right the New Jersey bear hunt clock moves ever closer to midnight.....tick......tick.....tick.....

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
Wayne itself has plenty of huntable woods although smaller than it was years ago. Unfortunatly Wayne, North Haledon and Haledon have no discharge laws.(I guess this is what you mean by no longer huntable) Some of these woods adjacent to High Mountain are in Franklyn Lakes...I think you can hunt there if you can find access.
Correct, no longer hunting in Wayne due to no discharge laws. My uncles used to hunt in Wayne near Pines Lake and I saw some hunters back in the 70s still able to hunt in what is now a housing complex off Alps Road.

About 10-12 years ago there was a bear in one of the graveyards in Totowa. This may have been the same bear you mention. Also around that time there was a bear in Paterson, yes Paterson, near the Haledon border. Again perhaps the same bear.
No, this was at least twice that long ago and they darted it right in the Motor Vehicle test driving center. They feared it would bolt onto one of the highways, but they managed to put it to sleep on the DMV grounds and release it in West Milford where I lived at the time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts