1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Great article. I was just going to post about an article I read in "bear hunting" magazine while at Borders. It is a national magazine, and basically was describing how ridiculous New Jersey's bear management plan was. Realize, most of the articles in this magazine are about far away dream hunts, lands we could only dream about patroling. So its amazing to me, that a nationwide magazine about bear hunting, would focus on the lack of hunting in N.J., the #1 oppurtunity for black bear hunting.
They said New Jersey has the highest density of black bears in the country, and that combined with a high people population density, its only a matter of time before someone is killed. They also stated the facts of after the 2003 and 2005 hunts, how the amount of complaints from bear related incidents dropped significantly. Judging by this article, seems they are still on the rise.
I wouldn't take advantage of a bear hunt if it were held, but support one as a means of population control. Its ridiculous the amount of bears that are out there, and unless you live in that area, or enjoy the outdoors in that part of the state, its hard to realize how many there are. Common to see multiple bears on a single hike, homes are commonly being visited by multiple bears each day, which are growing bolder and bolder. Its just amazing to me that the polititians EGO's are that big to stand in the way of proven facts of the bear hunt. Ridiculous.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Its just amazing to me that the polititians EGO's are that big to stand in the way of proven facts of the bear hunt. Ridiculous.
In my opinion the polititians are doing what most polititians do which is ignore the problem, talk about what the "majority" wants to hear about, and wait till their term is over so someone else can address the issue, and oh ya LIE LIKE HELL. I think it will come down to someone getting seriously hurt or even die in order to get a hunt to happen here in Jersey.

I still dont see what the problem is with hunting bears here in Jersey. Coyotes came along, no camplaints (that I know of), Pigs came to south Jersey, no complaints (that I know of), Bears have been in North Jersey for a long time, HOLY CRAP, How can someone want to hunt them. Dont kill the bears, they are cute and cuddley and will never hurt anyone. These people need to get their heads examined.

Further more, when they "Relocate" a "Problem" bear, Why would they do so in North Jersey. There are already plenty up here. What they should do is bring them South to say....Trenton... where this "Problem" doesnt seem to exhist.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
when they "Relocate" a "Problem" bear, Why would they do so in North Jersey.
I think the best place to relocate them is to Ringwood and Wanaque WMA's ....right across the state line from New York State. Kind of like a bear restocking progam.;)

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
Statewide, the number of serious bear-related incidents continues to grow. The monthly report for the period of April 21 to May 20, showed the state's black bear unit received 42 category I calls (those rated serious) compared to 33 such calls in 2008. Overall, the number of bear-related calls grew from 307 calls for the same period last year 2008 to 396 this year.
[eek]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.