New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to check the Bait pile I put out last week. It wasn't touched. I decided I will be opening up Monday AM in a different area on a Ridge that overlooks a swamp.The deer head into this swamp when the pressure starts.I may switch to the bait pile 3 -4 hours after daybreak or Tuesday AM.

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
I discussed this with Matty... in the AM I think the bears are already at the bait pile. So when you approach...you scare them away.

However, you can nail them in the late afternoon when they come to your bait pile.

I am not using bait... I am set up near a swamp near some bear poop. Hopefully I catch one walking by or heading to the swamp.

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have alot of Bear sign near the swamp also. I was just trying to pull the bears closer to an old fire road so the Drag would be easier.I could back my pick up right down the fire road.
If I kill one by the swamp its a 400 - 500 yard drag.
I have a better chance at a Buck near the swamp also!

G

·
what is this the BRADY BUNCH, next we will hear "GROOVY" :p, but I understand.

Bears normally feed late in the day, or at night. What do you have out for bait, and is it in a area you have seen bears?

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I put a 50 Ld bag of beef flavored dog food. Also Molasses, syrup, apples, corn and the kitchen sink.

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
I discussed this with Matty... in the AM I think the bears are already at the bait pile. So when you approach...you scare them away.
I tend to agree, I shot a doe late one day and left it, the next morning a bear had already helped himself to a hind leg, 2 weeks before I saw the bear coming from the street and houses at 9;30. The past 2 years I have had them come by my stand about 1/4 mile further away from the road at 9:30 and 8:15 respetively, heading for the safty of the swamp. I believe they are more nocturnal than deer.

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
I have a good spot over at Whittingham that looks over that bigazz swamp!! I also know of some large Ilands in there so thats where I'm gonna be as the day goes on monday. lots of deer and bear sign there.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Golly Cleaver Wally just heard the Beaver say POOP!!! :D

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
AMEN..!!!! I suddenly feel this overwhelming of goodness in me since this new change. I am feeling like a new man kinda like I want to go and knock on some doors and spread the word of the lord..!! :) Thanks Kris for making us all see the light.. LOL Just kidding it is kinda nice keeping it clean it is still the same sight and if people don't like it so be it :) oops sorry we got off the Bear topic. I will bring it back So Kris you say you are going to be Hunting by Bear POOP I guess that answers the question Bears do POOP in the woods!! [up]

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
I think Scat sounds a little better then POOP.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
He may kick us off [up]:p

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Jr, you chiming in talking PooP? Rich maybe we need to tell Kris he called us POOP Heads [mad] That was not very nice. Forget Kris I am calling my Mom!!

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
I hope so also I could loose my job as Moderator [down] Kris it is all in good fun. Ah POOP ! We love Ya Kris....!!! Some Darn Good POOP ya did with the site. Just one freaking thing I AGREE ALREADY how many more times do I have to AGREE??? HOLY POOP it gets annoying!!

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
JR, I'll try to keep this short, but I may begin to ramble. (just warning you):D

Bears wont hit all baits, sometimes they just dont feel safe going to certain bait sites. Your best bet is to find a heavily used bear trail in this snow. (one with tracks going both ways) and dump the bait as close to the trail as possible.

1. Find a good bear spot, with lots of bear sign already. (usually in/near; water, thick swamps, thickets, tops of mountains, and down in steep ravines)

2. OPTIONAL; Build a crib out of logs/branches. It should form a "V". Angle it so when the bears feed they offer good quartering away shots.

3. With bait in a bucket (or milk crate) turn bucket upside down in the "pinch" of the "V". Let some spill out and put a large rock or log over the top so smaller animals cant get at the bait.

4. Spray the area with scent; Anise, honey, vanilla, berry, etc. whatever scent you want that will attract bears.

5. Dump grease around the entrance of the crib and all over the logs. (the first bear(s) to find the bait will get the grease on its paws and leave scent trails all around the area attracting other bears)

6. OPTIONAL: Hang a burlap sack filled with rotting meat in a tree nearby to really get the scent out there.

7. OPTIONAL: Take a bear attracting scent (or the same scent you used for spraying the crib), and lay down scent trails with a drag rag all through the area.

(If bears are coming in to the bait at night, stop dumping the bait, and put out fox pee. This triggers them to believe they are being beaten to the bait by a fox. Thereby making them come in earlier) (other tricks include playing a radio at the bait at night, and simply lessening the amount of bait you put down)

When a bait is in the right spot, it can attract bears as quickly as one night.

Which brings me to my final suggestion. Dump the bait around the same time everyday, (preferably early afternoon ---12noon-2pm) When you hunt, dump the bait, and then sit down. Bears will come around late afternoon. DONT go near baits in the early morning hours, as it will more than likely spook bears from the bait.

Good luck----Matt:)

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the info Matty.
I dumped the bait in an area that I know has bears.
I put it next to a large blow down tree. Last year I watched a bear straddle the blow down and sleep for 2 hours. I saw Bears at that same location 4-5 times in the past.
Im going to open up in a different area and hunt the bait in the afternoon.
Thanks Again John

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.