New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
11,226 Posts
You know whats funny is the bear groups will turn this around and say "see PA has a bear hunt and it didn't prevent this from happening! Hunting is not the answer!" They twist every negative bear story to fit thier blind cause![mad] Nevermind that it shows that bears are dangerous and a real threat that shouldn't be aloud to grow out of control!

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
yeah....But it was mean so it had to be a New Jersey bear... GRRRR[mad]

·
3,413 Posts
Yum, Yum, Yum said the bear

·
Registered
177 Posts
I love to camp in bear country. I have a place deep in one of the swamps in NE Pa (pike county) where we take the canoe in about 1.5 miles and set up the two man tent. I run a trap line and tie all my food(you don't need much) from a tree limb at least 15 feet up. With out protection....no, but, I seriously doubt that I will ever need it. Coyote season is open year round and a 3"mag with #2 hevi shot would deter a bear if necessary.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
A friend of a friend knows the girl and the people that where attacked. I'll get more details as they come in.

I know for sure alcohol was involved which led to more chaos and confusion as to what was going on.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
I was surprised when I heard about this the other day. Kind of scary that people would ignore the "rules" of camping in bear country.

From the news coverage I watched to the newspaper story, it sounds like they did A LOT of stuff wrong.

First of all they camped right near a big rhododendron (sp?) patch with a big bear trail coming out of it. Now ok, maybe the avg. person wouldnt recognize the danger in that, but thats why the area was a NO CAMPING area.

Secondly they left cooked food (spaghettio's) out while they went fishing.

When they came back they startled the bear and they all started to run and tried to hide and crawl through the rhododendrons.

The bear went into "predator mode" and tried to haul the young girl off, he even tried to paw out a shallow hole and cover her (cache) for a return meal.

That had to be scary as all heck for her, Im glad no one got hurt, this really could have turned out a LOT worse.

Id be interested in hearing the story you get from them Stronski, because sometimes newspapers embelish just to make the story sound better. I also feel really bad for that girl, she seemed extremely traumatized by the encounter in the news interview. I cant even imagine what that would be like.

Even though Ive said bears arent normally dangerous, this is just a testament to how dangerous they CAN be. While they normally dont act like this, it only takes one mistake to have this happen. People need to be more educated when it comes to bears.

Once again, glad no one was seriously injured.
SO any news on the bear? Are they going to track it down and kill it? Sounds like they probably should!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts