New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's too late for this year. --I should mention this is my first year hunting bear, and I'm on my own)...but I have been setting up this spot (clearing shooting lanes, baiting, etc) on public land for many months. Had bear there every darn day right up until 6-day...now my cams are only catching them there after dark, or before legal shooting time in AM -like 2-3am....any advice for next year? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks..I'm just so frustrated. I put in A LOT of time, energy, and money into this site...only to have them stop coming THE DAY six-day begins...so I sit in my stand each day for 13 hours, hear shots in the distance, and can't help but think someone else got my bears...then I get confirmation on cam that at least 1 is still around....but only comes between 10pm and 3am. uugghh. trying to figure it all out. Even tried going to track it down, but lost the tracks after about 200yds. don't know what else to do, short of wrapping my entire body in bacon and walking through the woods. lol

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Welcome to the club. This is my 4th year bear hunting here and no bear... yet. This year I still have bears coming in during the night, which is the closest I've ever come. But I'm not giving up yet. 2 more days, and lots of tricks to try.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
From what I have been learning, bears like cover, water, feeling secure and the smell of bacon burning in the woods. I can honestly say that I have learned more this year than in all years past combined. Don't give up yet . . .

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
slayer -I think you're correct about the morning bait...I have baited a few times before an evening session (like around 2-3pm), and they wait til after dark to hit it. I think that if, next year), I only bait in the morning, they will learn that is the only time food will be available. the question is -do I pick the bait back UP if its not hit in the morning(???)

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
1) Don't cut shooting lanes. Bears are very aware that you are putting the bait down. As soon as they see their environment change they know they are hunted and not fed.
2) Go in at night and kick them off the bait. I had to do this for the past 2 weeks to make them afraid of the dark and feel more comfortable in the light. All this week I had an average of 4 to 6 bears on the pile an hour before dark
3 ) Bears are very lazy. Feed them where they live. The thickest nastiest crap you can find. Unless you are in remote Canada or Maine you will never pull a public land bear into open woods during daylight hours to eat. NEVER!
My bears were bedding all day 50 yard from the pile.
4) if you are hearing shots and thinking "Damn I hope that wasn't my bear" then you are in the wrong spot. Put your bait where you are the first thing that bear trips over when he wakes his fat ass up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.