New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
11,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How far can your shotgun shoot?

These are maximum distances for 12gauge loads with the barrel held in an elevated angle...Results may vary depending on the shotguns gauge/choke and ammo used.

# 6.........708 feet or 236 yards
# OBuck....1845 feet or 615 yards
# OOBuck...1895 feet or 632 yards
1oz Slug..3780 feet or 1260 yards

Be sure of your target and beyond!!![up]

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Thats why when I scout property I look for stands or blinds..Even if you need to ask the homeowner if there's anyone hunting there property. I asked 3 homeowners in Mendham,because there property butts up against mine. They don't allow hunting on there property. :):):)..Good for me.Now I could call them in all I want.

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
Where I hunt in Mendham the property owners only allow us to Bowhunt. There are house in almost all directions.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
Heck, I'm in the backyards in Mendham. :D
Some of the deer I have shot this year had to wait for the cars to go by so they could cross the road and come into the woods where I am on the other side. [up]

It's a bow only area as all the lots are under 5 acres. That is a good thing in that area.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Don't get me wrong I think Jim's post is something we all must consider for safety's sake.

That being said shotgun projectiles have lost most of the kinetic energy at the mentioned ranges. That doesn't mean there is no danger both physically and politically.

Personally I have been hit my spent pellets fired by another hunter while pheasant hunting on public land. It did not break the skin and was less painful that being shot with a BB gun. The likelyhood is if you are pheasant or waterfowl hunting and get "rained" on you will be looking up. Therefore, you should always wear eye ptotection when doing this type of hunting or any type shooting for that matter.

Politically the danger is "raining" pellets on a house occupied my a member of the non-hunting public. That is a quick way to turn that homeowner into an "anti"

Now for my controversial point: I think buckshot should be illegal. I have seen many post of guys bragging that thek killed a deer at long ranges with buckshot.

First of all I don't believe most of those posts. That's a technical choke/pellet size/patern question I won't address it in this post.

Second, of the times they that shot at a deer with buckshot further than 30yards (30yards being the maximun effective range for buckshot)and thought they missed, how many of those times did they actually mortally wound it, but never found because it went several hundred yards with 1 or 2 pellets in the vital area it with no blood trail.

Third and most important. Refering back to Jim's post. When they shoot at a deer and hit it with let's say half the pellets the other half continue down range with lethal terminal velocity. Remember a few years ago when some idiot shot buckshot a deer and one of his pellets proceeded to a road breaking the window on a moving car injuring a little kid. The "antis" got plenty of milage out of that not to mention that it hurt a little kid.

Buckshot has its' place in home defense and police work through a choke no tighter than improved cylinder.

·
11,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Remember a few years ago when some idiot shot buckshot a deer and one of his pellets proceeded to a road breaking the window on a moving car injuring a little kid.
Be sure of your target AND BEYOND! That idiot had no buisness shooting towards that road! Thats not the buckshots fault, thats hunter error!
I think buckshot should be illegal. I have seen many post of guys bragging that thek killed a deer at long ranges with buckshot.
First of all I don't believe most of those posts.
I shot and killed a buck that was gut shot with a slug by another hunter at 75-80 yards...running! Spun him around with the first shot and dropped him with the second!!!!
Second, of the times they that shot at a deer with buckshot further than 30yards (30yards being the maximun effective range for buckshot)and thought they missed, how many of those times did they actually mortally wound it, but never found because it went several hundred yards with 1 or 2 pellets in the vital area it with no blood trail.
There is a chance of mortally wounding but not finding an animal with any type of hunting and any load! Again this is put on each hunter to know his/her weapon and it's effective range! It is also every hunters responsibility to search for any animal they have taken a shot at even if there isn't any blood at the impact area before they move on!
I've seen deer run by me with their lower jaw blown off or a leg hanging off or a big hole on their back all from slugs! I wont even get into bow injuries. It is a risk every hunter takes and should do their best to know there weapon. Pattern there shots. Practice as much as possible and be sure of their target and beyond! A slug that misses it's target is going alot further with lethal speed!!!! It's up to the hunter to make sure the shot is a safe one to take! No animal is worth risking injury or death to someone else!! Buckshot is a very effective shot and no less safe then slugs! Unfortunately some hunters ARE less safe then others!

·
11,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Personally I have been hit my spent pellets fired by another hunter while pheasant hunting on public land.
I've been peppered before as well!!! No big deal, but like 230grain said if that were to land on someones house or car or THEM!!! That would not look good at all for hunters not to mention someone could get hurt! You just really need to think about where that shot is going if it doesn't go into the intended target!

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I don't think I should get into this one. But I don't know how to keep my mouth shut. As far as ballistics, its out of my league. AS far as buckshot, I drop deer's consistently at distances of 75 yards, I shoot buckshot 00 and #1 out my BPS 10 gauge with a turkey choke, and is totally devestating. Then again I know my sorroundings like the back of my hand, I know were all the hunters on the property are hunting, and I never shoot towards a house. I also hunt strictly out of tree stands, and everyone on the property has to notify ALL by radio if they are going to get out of their stands and move. Must house accidents that I have heard of in my area is from SLUGS. I also shoot slugs depending were I'm hunting on a particular day. With the down trajectory I have never had a problem.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
I think the main theme here is just be aware of whats around you. Know your surroundings!!! Dont take questionable shots...personally, if I have to think twice about taking a certain shot I wont take it. i will wait until the right oppurtunity presents itself. if it doesn't then so be it. Buckshot vs. slugs-that is for the hunter to decide. Please be responsible, be ethical, and most of all be safe!!!! the last thing we need is for people to start becoming careless because that is when the fun ends for all of us.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
I think the biggest factor which may/may not have been mentioned is that each and every hunter needs to know what their gun is capable of. That means taking the time to bring the gun to a range and pattern it. I have shot almost every brand/size on the market and I can easily tell you that not every one performs the same. Some guns prefer certain brands while other not. You need to test different ones until you find one that works best for you.

David

1 - 16 of 16 Posts