New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone's dog ever have a bad run in with barbed wire? This is something I have never thought about but I probably should have. Dogs work hard for us and they come out somes all torn up. Wondering if this seems like a problem in NJ.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
ive seen other dogs try to jump over a fallen tree and getting jabbed with by a stick in the stomach...there is no barved wire by me but sticks impaling a dog isnt uncommon..

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there is no barved wire by me but sticks impaling a dog isnt uncommon
Worried about that too.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I HAVE OBSERVED DOGS IN AND AROUND BARBED WIRE HUNTING ,NOT MUCH MORE DAMAGE DONE THAN GREEN BRIAR.
LOTS OF BARBED WIRE IN SOUTH JERSEY. I HAVE SEEN DOGS SEVERELY INJURED BY A STICK.

·
Banned
5,494 Posts
I have a German Shorthair that i hunt the flatbrook with. Now i don't see much barbed wire but plenty of thorns. I have a vest for her. But it doesn't cover her face. So i am always pulling thorns from her face and ears. I guess what i am trying to say is get a vest for your little hunting buddy. It may not stop every thing, but it should minimize the damage.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Take a suggestion from a old K-9 cop... Pick up some EMT gel for those emergencies...It could save your dogs life.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I actually came across some barbed wire at Assunpink a few weeks ago while wood [no swearing please] hunting. It was pretty far back in the woods, and pretty close to the Roosevelt end of the WMA -- just a couple of strands attached to some old fence posts.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pick up some EMT gel for those emergencies
I heard that is hard to remove once on and the wound can get infected.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts