New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this from another board and wanted to share it with everyone.

This a letter to the editor that appeared on Wed Apr. 20/05 apparently written by a so called hunter.

The Record (Newspaper)
160 King St. East
Kitchener, Ontario
N2G 4E5

It's time to put an end to bow-hunting

The Record (Kitchener, Cambridge and Waterloo)
Wed 20 Apr 2005
Page: A12
Section: OPINION
Byline: Bruce Thornton
Column: LETTER OF THE DAY

I have been following the bow-hunting debate with increasing interest over the past few weeks. I am a small c Conservative, right-wing gun owner and never considered myself an animal activist. I did a little research on bow hunting and it proved to be a real wake-up call.

It became apparent that it is a very inefficient way to hunt and has no upside or any place in modern society. I own bows but only use them for target practice with my grandson. Never would I or any hunter I know use a bow for hunting.

There are many irrelevant issues raised by pro-bow hunters (crop damage, vehicles hitting deer, need for culls, deer die and suffer in the wild anyway, bows have been used for thousands of years, it is a "real" sport, etc.), none of which address the real issue -- cruelty. If deer must be killed, then please do it humanely. I have seen pictures of deer walking around with arrows in them and have read many articles relating the suffering other animals go through when impaled with an arrow. It simply is not necessary.

I appreciate Larry Anstett bringing this disgusting and pointless cruelty to every caring person's attention and wish him success in banning bow hunting. Any less would be an affront to a society that prides itself on doing the right thing. I beg our elected officials to stand up and listen to the vast majority of citizens who find this "sport" repulsive.

We have moved on from so many things that were once considered acceptable but have been shown for what they are --anachronistic.

Please write or call your local legislator if you find, as I do, that it is past time to end this barbaric practice.

Bruce Thornton

New Hamburg

If you’re as upset as I was over an apparent fellow hunter literally stabbing us in the back you can send a letter to the Editor as I did; [email protected]

·
3,413 Posts
More like an Anti typing as one if you ask me
Couldn't agree more.

It sounds just like Stu Chaviez at the hearing for A3736 when he started speaking on "behalf" of hunters who didn't want the bill passed. The stones on these tyoes of people know no boundries.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Bruce, Don't like bowhunting? Good! More for me to kill. Bruce is more likely a Capital "L" LIBERAL who did a "little research" on bowhunting. Well, lets see the study, brucey. Yea, I thought so. FYI, Pennsylvania F&G once did a REAL study comparing the effectiveness of rifles and bows for humanely killing deer and found no appreciable difference. In fact deer are more likely to recover from a non-fatal wound from an arrow (like a clean cut) than from a festering bullet wound. Personally, I have killed scores of deer with a recurve bow and single blade broadheads and have found it most effective. Most of the time the deer is dead in seconds and if not, so what. I like tracking. Its pointless to argue with a liberal ARA because even they DON'T BELIEVE WHAT THEY SAY. They really don't care about the deer (or rats,chickens,mice,fish or whales) What they don't like is that we ENJOY killing deer, an activity they abhore. Liberals (i.e. democrats) just want total control over government to promote their own agenda. Don't confuse them with the facts. their minds' are already made up.

john

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Another one from the past for all you newer guys.

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
A bow is a very efficient weapon we all know this in the hands of a killer. If he has 2 bows I would recommend to him he should sell them on e-bay or give them away.He might be a butcher such as a wounder.Its a butcher shop.[cool]

·
Super Moderator
8,616 Posts
If he's a hunter than I'm a Corzine supporter and Hillary Rotten Clinton is a heterosexual

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
That guy can KISS MY A$$ in the County Square!

Hunter???? RRRRRRRight[down]

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
most likely he is a poacher... and got busted for it..or he was paid tons of money to say that....
Just shows how this site tells everyone or trys to tell everyone, what is going on out there. Information is the key in our Fight with the ARA's of the world. If this post or others like it wasn't posted does anyone thing they would have found them?

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Wait a second... did he actually have the nerve to say that bowhunting is a "very inefficient way to hunt".

Maybe for him it is. As for the rest of us fellow bowhunters, it is EXTREMELY EFFECTIVE. This guy can kiss my A$$!

David

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
As was mentioned in the original post..THIS PIECE IS VERY OLD NEWS...it went around almost a year ago.

I personally don't see any reason for posting it again.

Do people really have nothing better to do than post anti..anti-hunter threads? For what purpose? This article has no current relevance to hunting in NJ.

If people want to keep writing these posts it would at least be helpful if they had some relevance to the board. Other than stirring the pot, this post doesn't accomplish anything.

If people feel they have to constantly complain about the anti's, at least post something that the members can do something about...A year old article that has already been vigorously responded to by the hunting community shouldn't be taking up our energies....there are many more important issues that should be concerning us...

IMHO...JC

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
It had a good effect on me as I now will join UBNJ.

Old news or not, It is a classic example of the ARA at work posing as a "Hunter". I for one am glad it was reposted as I never read it before today!

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
Old news or not, It is a classic example of the ARA at work posing as a "Hunter".
Exactly my point...we could fill thousands of threads with exactly these kinds of posts...

Or we can save our energy and actually respond to current situations when they arise...

Everyone of these "old news" posts becomes more and more like the boy who cried wolf. When an actionable item is eventually posted, most members will already br tired of reading of the all of previous "Anti's Posts"...

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
jcchartboy, What about the young hunters here that might not of heard any stories like this. This shows non-hunters that come on here that aren't ARA's about how they work. If you don't like the old posts....Dont read them and dont reply to them. Don't get on them and bitch about them... We are here to help each other.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts