New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im just curious if this has ever been done. When you think about a deer and what it needs to live....woods obviously, food (we already know plenty use bait) and water....but has anyone ever tried to dig in a plastic container into the ground and let it fill with rain water?

Right now I am hunting a buck that I know beds in a small piece thats only about 2 acres but that piece has water closeby....all the food and where I can hunt is a bigger piece but there isnt a single drop of water around.

Plenty of people bait with corn some clowns even use watermellons, but has anyone ever tried putting a water source in an area close to bedding where there is not any closeby?

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Wouldn't sittiing water go stagnant in the warmer temps and simply freeze in the colder temps? How often would you have to replenish the water to keep it fresh?

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
i know that would probably work else where but in north jersey (im guessing south jerz as well) water is abundant it would make a difference. If you look at google earth and look at northern sussex county you will see there is swamps, creeks, streams, ponds and lakes literally EVERYWHERE so it would not be effective by me.

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
that tactic is actually used out west with VERY good results. They use small plastic kids pools and dig them in

·
Registered
888 Posts
I dig out our mud holes in KY to let water better collect in them during the dry spells. The deer manage to fill them in within days by walking through it. I've contemlplated using a bucket or a kiddie pool to try to keep it open longer.

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
Deer get water from a multitude or sources. Unless you are hunting them in arid climates or hot termperatures such as the midwest,summer, etc, they are not nearly as dependent on standing water as one might think.

JC

compared to most livestock, Deet can go for extended periods without water. Besides free water, deer also obtain water from the food they consume. In times of lush growth (e.g., spring), consumption of free water is far less than during the hot summer when available vegetation contains less moisture and the body requirements for water to fulfill physiological demands are high.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I was actually thinking of doing the same thing. The top of a hill where I hunt is about 1/2 mile from the nearest source on the hill, about 1/4 mile going downhill, but then the deer have to walk back up. Since I hunt near a bedding area, I think a small pool where the deer can grab a quick drink without really leaving their comfort zone would be perfect. Or it can also draw them in as they are heading to the bedding area for one last drink.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
I have 10 acres behind my house, the piece of woods is roughly 100 acres and there is a small ditch that runs thru it and does fill in the spring but during the summer there's not a drop of water there. I burried a kiddie pool snd filled a 55gal drum that I put on the atv trailer and filled the pool up. Had tracks all around it last summer. I bet it would do good in september.

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
Find a hole where a tree has been uprooted, line with heavy duty pvc/plastic, then some stones and bury the sides. Mother nature and rain will fill it. A salt like 50-75 yds away will ensure they will head to it after licking.[up] I doubt deer worry about stagnant water. But remember deer get most of their water needs from the greens they eat.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
I had a stand in PA overlooking an old bathtub that fills with cold fresh water from a flowing brook. It was a widow maker. Especially during the rut.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
There are so many water sources in this area that it wouldn't be very effective.

I wouldn't bother with the home made contraption. If u want to hunt water just set your stand by a pond or a well used crossing on a stream.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts