New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I arrived a t one of my favorite deer funnels today, only to notice a treestand about 100 yards away. Okay no problems there since it is public land. However, I noticed as I moved to put my climber in my usual area, I saw that someone had thrown a salt block right in the middle of the deer trail that runs through the very narrow strip of woods the trail runs through.

I also encountered something similar while hunting earlier in the week at a different location- a treestand with bait right in the middle of narrow natural funnel. I find it odd that someone would place bait where the deer are already going in the first place. Especially during the rut.

Now both these spots have just a small amount of bait, so I'm thinking that the other guys are using the bait to try to create a chip shot on any passing animals. (I do something similar with scent wicks, but I remove them after the end of the days hunt).

Does anyone here use a handful of bait or a small (half a brick) block in such a manner or is this most likely people being stingy with bait. Again, I find it odd.

·
Banned
3,127 Posts
Some people don't know how or don't understand that deer can be hunted without bait.

I have to admit that initially i was under the same impression but have since been shown the light and will not bother with bait.

·
Registered
10,374 Posts
I took a chance not baiting last year and killed nice deer all year... freezer filled this year too. it's nice cause you don't spend all your time, money, and effort hauling around sacks of corn! You just hunt and rely on your stand placement and calling ability.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I took a chance not baiting last year and killed nice deer all year... freezer filled this year too. it's nice cause you don't spend all your time, money, and effort hauling around sacks of corn! You just hunt and rely on your stand placement and calling ability.
You're probably hunting around oak tree's or corn and bean fields. I read on this site that it's the same as baiting.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
All no bait kills for me so far this season. Late season I will but I enjoy the rut too much to stare at a corn pile.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies. I have nothing against baiting. It just seems kind of pointless to drop bait in the middle of small funnels that deer naturally use to begin with. I prefer to hunt these narrow funnels because the deer just pass through them and don't linger. It makes it easy to hunt these areas multiable times as long as the wind is right and your entry/exits are clean.(I shot a 9 point last year out of a tree I hunted 8 times prior and had deer walk by each day I was in stand). I also pull any scent wicks at the end of my hunt, so they are none the wiser.

But when you hang a stand eight feet up a tree, less than ten yards from the bait pile/salt block right in the middle of the deer path/funnel...then your just screwing up a great spot. And I've seen this one too many times.

It just sucks because both places had a deer trail on it that looked like a foot path and now it seems like its abandoned. The funny thing is that both places were baited within the past two to three weeks.

I'm just glad that I already have a couple of deer in the freezer.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Crossgun, I took my girlfriend hunting at the first spot earlier in the week and had to move about 100 yards up the trail from the "treestand" ( It was pitiful, I could have stood on the ground under that stand and jumped up and touched the platform) and bait pile.

She got cold and we left 10 minutes before shooting time ended only to intercept and kill a doe that must have been eating fro that bait pile. (she had corn in her stomach).

·
Registered
822 Posts
You think baiting a funnel is bad?....I just found someone has started a bait pile right on the road.... [eek]
Now that's funny! A farmer buddy of mine was hauling corn from Bridgeton to Pilesgrove and left something open on the trailer and left a 10 mile long bait pile [rofl]

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I do this. I place a small amount of corn out so as to stop them. I don't have spots with good food for me to hunt though. Other wise I would hunt oak trees. But a small amount corn is nice just to stop them so as to gets clean shot. I also hunt out of a ground blind with a small shooting lane, so stopping where I want them too is key.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts