New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had success with the bow (Buck or Doe) not baiting deer; especially in the central and south zones where there is mostly pines?

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
I recommend getting a 50 pound bag of corn and put it out and then you will see. Might take a couple days but they should find it. No baiting on WMA so it should Be on private grounds and no state forest also I beleive.Next move see how fast its eaten and where tracks come and go from. Set up in a good tree with plenty of cover to break your outline either ground or above watch wind and kept it in your face.Try apples,regular potatoes or sweet potatoes. Buck jamb or pour molasses on the corn. Theres all differant ways to set up. Experiment it should be fun for you but it can get costly.If you set up a feeder you can contain the feed costs but run the chance of theft or damage to your feeder.By dumping the corn your chuming. Keep us advised of your progress.

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Sorry Mike I thought you wanted to bait. Find the deer and their feed and beding areas and set up on or near a trail that will give you a shot access.A tree wih plenty of cover. You need to learn the bush first to set up for a shot thats all if you can shoot. Be carefull with your exit and entry to your stand.The deer should be yarded up this time of year so you should have plenty of eyes to contend with.

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Up until the last 6 years all I used was stick bow and it can be done. You can stalk as well and use the largest trees to stop behind and watch and wait. Play the wind unless its swirling then theres not much you can do on the ground.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Im no expert on deerhunting in Southern NJ, or anywhere for that matter, but Im assuming they eat scrub oak acorns, white oak acorns and "browse" in the pine barrens... Find that stuff, and find where they bed, and you can intercept them in between.
Baiting:([down]

Why bother?...Go scouting, you'll figure out where the deer are.

Good luck!!![up][up]

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
right,I started bow hunting in the 70s.we never baited and looked down on those who did ,and yes it was not legal .today with baiting and all the new equipment and scent blockers its def. better .but im glad i started without those methods ,i think you gain more instinks for hunting.

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Match your camo to the surroundings also in what ever season you go. And don't be discouraged hunt hard and be dedicated if you are traditional.You need to shoot that bow alot to stay on target. It will become natural to you if your a stick shooter.Take judos with you and stump shoot or blunts.Keep your broodheads sharp.Some times its better with a couple guys driving and a couple watchers then you can gentily move the deer if you can remain calm.

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Remember before I made it easy on my self I traditionally hunted and looked down on baiting as well.Now after health issues I am still able to hunt and bait to make it easy on me.Can't pull the heavy bow any more and walk like you need to to be a foot hunter so I have to take the easy road these day.There plenty in my museum with the stick bow.Any thing you want to know tradionally Mike send me a note and I'll let you know. How many guys here know how to tune a tradional Bow?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Been hunting the pines for awhile they don't roam as far as some might think find some oak trees those scrub oak even 6 to 8 feet tall produce alot of acorns that water and a thick bedding area find some rubs tracks poop. look at those sandy back roads to get started find some tracks fall them in and set up go both coming and going you will be surprised what you find most of these deer follow the same route every day.Good luck let us no how you do.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
How many guys here know how to tune a tradional Bow?
Hey Cat,
Im pretty sure I know how to tune a trad bow.

Adjust the tiller or "fistmele"

set the nocking point height, and then bare-shaft tune with different spine arrows.

If you have a better way, please let me know, as I work for a bow shop and it would be great to know more about tuning trad equipment.:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
i hunt in south jersey,and now with baiting being legal,it makes it harder to hunt.what i mean is,if you don`t bait then you are competeing with others who do,and the feeding patterns are screwed up.also i`ve noticed that it`s getting harder and harder to find the perfect spot to set up,because most guys don`t want to carry bait in too far so either you walk in on them or they bait 2 or 3 spots and think they own the whole woods.and think about this,all of a sudden a plentiful food source shows up out of nowhere,and the deer don`t think anything is up? i don`t know about you guys,but i`ve never seen wild sweetpotatoes

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Rather than start a war I will just say I do not bait and I never will.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
I cam here to NJ from PA in december of Last year. In the 18 or so years I have been hunting, I never baited til this year. PA you cant bait. You have to do it the old fashion way, and that is scouting and patterning the deer. This isnt a personal comment or one to offend anyone, but nj hunters are spoiled by baiting!!!

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Hey Mate don't listen to this guys they don't know what they are talking about. Find a heavely used deer trails and rig a Claymore, make sure the back of the device is up against a tree, so the full force will be concentrated towards the kill zone. You can rig it up with a trip wire. Make sure you lay the trip wire a least 50 feet from the device. If not all you are going to get is chopped meat. Or if you want to enjoy the hunt better, just set up about 100 yards away (stand must be somewere behind the blocking tree with the device)and use the clacker. I personally like the clacker this way sometimes I get four or five of those little critters.:D

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Rather than start a war I will just say I do not bait and I never will.
I agree dave. To me(just my opinion)baiting isn't hunting.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Don't Forget Claymore Mine Season for Deer requires a Permit from NJ D&W And the season only runs from Jan1 until the 28th.[

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Your cool Matty and you are correct some might not have known this that could be new to traditional shooting. Its very important to be consistant. I love traditional. After bad car accident I couldn't pull the stick bow back. No sites for me on the compound I am fully instinctive. I hate to say this but I think I am going to have to go crossbow eventually. I look at some of my animals and say what the heck and where is this going with health. Trying to work on things but after years of body abuse what can I expect.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts