New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my new Wally Marshall baitcaster in from BPS with some 10lbs mono yesterday. I've never had the experience of trying to spool up a baitcaster properly. I really want to learn how to effectively use a baitcaster, but what a pain so far. Any helpful hints/tips with spooling up a baitcasting reel and getting to use it. The manual it came with was pretty good with getting an idea of it, but figured I'd reach out to you guys so my frustration level can go down.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
to spool a baitcaster you have to hold the spool of line vertical and reel it striaght off not like a spinning reel where you lay the spool on the floor.

for that reel i would use suffix braid or something like that its a lot smoother and it casts a lot farther. braided lines dont hold a memory like mono so it works good on those little spools and from line twist, dont know if you know this already.

baitcasters will cast farther than a spinning reel you just have to thumb the spool to slow it down just before it hits the water to prevent backlash.

this takes a little practice, but you want to just slow it down before it hits the water and maybe even stop it as it hits the water with your thumb. then let off for it to sink straight down or click the bail and start reeling. baitcasters are tricky but you have a lot more control cause you can slow it down and stop it anytime in case you casted it to far.

also youre going to have to play with the free spool drag for diffrent sized lures and wind conditions stuff like that so no backlashes happen.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems like a lot of practice and trial/error. Thanks for the info and I'll put it to use this weekend as hopefully that sun stays out and the rain holds off.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Hey there,
Maybe I'll pick one up and we can learn together. I'm thinking of heading out, maybe with Capt. Chris on Saturday afternoon if you'll be around. Maybe we can get out in his boat if the weather works out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.