New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So with school coming to a close, i plan on fishing alot. My question is what is a good bait casting combo? I have been looking at the shimano calcutas. I want to go g. loomis.is that good, any other sugestions?

Thanks.

Oh. why not kill 2 birds with one stone?? Would i be able to use the same combo for fishing barneget bay? and the inlet?

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
fresh or salt water?

Calcutta reels and Loomis rods are both great.However,you may be better off buying several mid range setups for the price of a high end setup.Not sure if you need such a high end setup and what the budget may be.

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
You think i should buy 2 diffent combos?
yes..i personally like to get a set up for each so i can have different line on each (high test for salt and smaller for fresh)

it would be one thing if it was a spinning reel where you could pop a spool of low test off and throw some high pound line on for salt..but with a bait caster that cant happen normally...that is just my opinion:D

good luck!

·
Registered
10,307 Posts

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
G loomis with an abu garcia ambassador 5500,best baitcasting reel ever made and easy to cast,no magnetic brakes or other BS,just smooth centrifugal casting, IMO shimano is over priced junk

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
Shimano Curado 200E is the way to go on the reel - I just purchased two for myself last week. On the rods I would go with either a Shimano Crucial or a Cabelas XML or XMLti. Good luck[up]

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
I like them too < im just hell bent on G. loomis
I have Daiwa,Team Daiwa,Garcia,St. Croix,Fenwick,Bass Pro Shops,Carrot Stix,Shimano,G Loomis and others.

If you are interested in fresh water bass fishing....Honestly,I wouldn't put the money out for Loomis.Great rods,yes,but overpriced.I think the best value rods out there right now are St. Croix Mojo(MSRP $90) and Fenwick HMG (MSRP $140).

As chris n stated,Garcia Revo is a great reel.Especially the STX version( I have a couple of those).Other then that I recomend Team Daiwa Zillion.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Can't beat an Ugly Stick!
I just picked up an ugly stick a couple weeks ago and I love it. I still love the lightning rod that my dad handed down to me the most, it just feels right in my hands. But that's what you want, something that you're gonna be comfortable with. Best of luck to you, and yes, Grandmoms are the best!! [up][up]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.