New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm back from my Pa. bear hunt. Empty handed but happy to have experienced it. I had taken PALAWMAN up on his invite to join him in a hunt in Clearfield Co. When I arrived Sun. morning it was the first time I had met him face to face. I was introduced to the the rest of the group, and was immediately treated as though I had been coming there for years. Sunday afternoon was spent scouting. I saw more bear sign in one location that I have ever seen in all my trips to Maine for bear hunts !!
Unfortunatly, everyone else had seen it also. On Monday morning in the valley where I took up a ground stand, there were about 30 other hunters. And apparently when that army invaded the valley in the pre dawn hours, the bears moved out. No shots were fired there all day.
At another location, PALAWMAN did get a shot at a bear that we never recovered. It is suspected that someone found the bear dead before we did and tagged it and took it.
Tuesday we did a few drives. No bears were seen. The below pictures show the terrain that we drove. Yes, they are standers going to their stands along a powerline.

This pix shows a beaver dam between me and the next drivers. These drives were not for the old or faint of heart

Tues. night we went to the local bear check station. This bear weighed in at 390lbs., and actually got around of applause from onlookers.
Unfortunatly the next bear weighed in weighed 42lbs. Even the hunters in the crowd were more than a little upset at that. I couldn't bring myself to even take a pix of it.

But all in all I had a great time. Good company, good food, a nice place to stay, and time in the woods.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Some pretty country.

Nice photo's

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
sounds like you had a good time and realy nice pics of the hunting area ps did you bump and deer while driving

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't see any deer, but a few of the other guys did. Two of them both saw a 14 pointer the same morning. So you know where they will be for opening day of Pa. rifle season.
Which I now have to start packing for tomorrow. I'll be in Monroe Co. next week for their rifle season.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Sounds like a good time.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Oh its gorgeous out there isnt it Paul?!?!!

I was invited out there about 5 years ago, and have made it out there every year since. I will get out there later this year Im sure.

I recognize the check station at Moshannon State Forest. Thats a nice bear too at 390#.

Did you see any elk?

Thanks for sharing the pictures with us NS...[up][up]:)

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
We cant tell you. When you leave the area you are sworn to secrecy.:p:D

·
Premium Member
3,808 Posts
Great Pics!
I will post mine asap.. just got home from my 2 week bear and deer extravaganza...
It was great having you as a guest and you are welcome anytime..
Btw
Thanksgiving day while going to my cousins for dinner..
Our carload had the pleasure of having 2 bear cross the road in front of us about a half mile from camp! how ironic...

We did end up tagging 3 bucks!
My boy and I saw well over 35 deer opening day with 5 being bucks...

I got a 7 on Saturday which would have been a 9 if the brows werent broken from fighting...

pics to come

1 - 14 of 14 Posts