New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back from Ohio, had a pretty good trip. We had all types of weather, but hunted hard in it every day. Out of the 8 days, we only came out of the woods during the day twice...once to take care of my brothers doe, and the other time to pick up some things from our friends house. We hunted hard, and saw alot of bucks, but nothing really big. They were done rutting where we were. We watched bucks just feeding, and does with fawns in feeding patterns as well. There was a little chasing going on when we first got there on the 12th and 13th, but after that, all the bucks were ignoring the does, and some were just roaming.

On the day I shot this deer, I had been on stand from 6:00am, when it was only 17 degrees, until I shot him at 4:25pm. The high temp was only 29 degrees, and it was cloudy and windy. I had only seen a doe at 8:30am, another doe at 12:30pm, and a 3 pointer between 1:00pm and 3:00pm. The wind was really kicking up and I was huddled into my coat when I heard a deer running towards me, turned and looked and saw this buck coming off the hill about 20 yards behind me. He was at about eye level with me when I saw him, and came right under the stand about 3 yards away from the base of the tree. As he was passing under me, I turned and drew at the same time. My arrow fell off the rest because I was moving as I drew, but I managed to get it back in place. He had slowed to a walk, and at 7 yards, I hit him perfectly. The arrow hit one lung and the heart, and the broadhead lodged in the far leg near the bottom of the body. The deer ran off down the ravine, and up the hill about 15 feet on the other side, then stumbled sideways, and fell back into the ravine. He went a total of about 40 yards and even though I lost sight of him in the deep ravine, I knew he was done.

After I walked up on him I realized he was a buck I had passed a shot at on Saturday the 12th because I thought he was just a 2.5 yr old. I still think he is a 2.5 yr old, but when he came running in, I only had a short time to decide to shoot and by looking at the antlers while he was running at me eye level, and right under the tree, I thought he was older. He is a good deer though. We also each got a doe. Was a good trip.

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not a heavy deer, I'm guessing just about 150. We rough taped him at about 122, but I really like his bladed brow tine. The first week of November seemed to be the hot rut week there...one guy of our group killed a 140+ buck on the 1st, and another guy killed a 168+ 6 X 7 on the 3rd of November.

We still had a good trip, even though this was the biggest buck I saw.

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if you dont mind me asking, where in ohio were you hunting
We were in Noble County. When we first started going a few years ago, there wasn't much pressure in the area. Now, it's very busy during deer season. Hunting in SE Ohio has become very popular, and getting very crowded. I can honestly say it's as bad, if not worse, than hunting pressure in many parts of NJ. It's not easy hunting though, you have to work for them.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Great story and same goes for the buck. Cool brow tine.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Great story! It pays to sit all day even when the conditions are miserable.[up] By the way, it kind of shows that the conditions were miserable ;) :D

Sounds like it was a great trip though! Congrats to all who were successful.[up][up]

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the nice words guys. The broadhead was a Wasp jak hammer, 125 grain. I usually use Thunderheads, but had a few jak hammers to try this year. On the way in to the stand, I had to walk through a nasty pine and briar thicket full of blackberry and multiflora rose bushes. When I got out of that thicket and into the woods to make the last few hundred yards to the stand, I had lost a few quarts of blood and all but two arrows from my quiver. As you can tell by the picture, I went back and got them after the shot, but at the time of the shot, I had very few arrow options.

I was very happy with the broadhead performance and will probably use them again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts