New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No deer to show for 3 days of still hunting the High Peaks of the Catskills but I did get to spend those days sneaking along babbling brooks, walking along 30 ft high ledge walls, hiking through the stunted trees and tall meadow gr [no swearing please] at 3500 ft, mingled along moss covered boulders, eyed an eagle on nest, followed a doe and fawn at 40 yarsd for 30 minutes as they feed along a hardwood ridge, and strained to get a clear shot at a large black coyote that was 35 yards away in thick new growth (couldn't get the shot). So in my mind the trip was a success......That mountain has a very low deer density and it doesn't give them up easily. There were at least 14 people hunting from the parking area we use and 1 deer was taken out in 3 days, A 220 pound 8 pt that was chasing a doe. I know the gentleman who shot him, because we see the same faces every year on this piece of state land, and he has put his time in and deserved that trophy. Inmy 3 days of hunting I saw 1 hunter in the woods. On Monday a 200# black bear was also bagged and it took a group of 4 men 4 hours to get him back to the truck. Another hard worked for trophy....The deer are few but the Mountains are high and beautiful and that is why I come back year after year. :)

B

·
0 Posts
as long as you had a good time, thats what counts [up] welcome home !!!!!

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Did not see a tail the whole time in the woods,like you,i enjoyed being out. it is beautifull country where i hunt.:)

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
you kidding, i dont even think there is any nudey bars where i hunt......lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts