New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Im gonna start right off with the pic and wrap it up with a brief account of my trip a trip BTW that was my gift to myself for my 60th birthday back in April but one I day dreamed about for several years.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
more pictures

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
and a few more

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A couple more.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When Adam Berg picked me up at the hotel in Billings Montana I was sure my hunch that he was a likable guy and straight shooter was correct even though we had only sent a few emails to each other and spoke on the phone a couple of times after picking up a few last minuet supplies including a 12 pack of “Moose DroolBrown Ale” a local favorite that I just could not wait to try we headed out to the ranch to unpack and check the sites on my rifle and for Adam to settle his fears the he had another easterner on his hands who couldn’t shoot.
After a little time at the range that settled both our fears we set about getting dinner ready and having a few beers while we checked the weather and made plans for the next day.
I am happy to say that old feeling returned on this trip and I was unable to sleep more than a couple of winks the evening before the hunt I was pumped to be one of only 2 people hunting the 35000 ac. Of the Tulloch Creek Ranch in Bighorn Montana in fact due to unfortunate circumstances this first day I would be the only one hunting the ranch.
The first day started like most hunting days getting in the tuck in the dark and getting to a point on the ranch where a good buck to be spoted and than stalked as it turned out I had some learnin to do as to what a good buck was on this ranch and after a time or two “No John he’s too young” I curbed my enthusiasm for pulling the trigger.
It was becoming obvious that the rut was beginning to heat up but was not in full swing as some groups of does still had small bucks with them acting like they were “All that” soon to learn painfull lessons as to what a full grown buck really was during the rut.
There’s a nice one what do you think Adam said as we spotted a nice 5x5 buck with a large group of does and 2 smaller bucks.
“Let’s see if we can get in position for a better look at him with the spotter if he is as old as I think he is you can shoot him” we ditched the truck and hustled around several hills and draws in an effortto get a vantage point the deer would pass when we got to a good point that was in range the deer began to pass us but it seemed only half of the does and one of the bucks went the way we thought they would after a good while we felt the wind change so it was hitting the backs of our necks time to go.
A funny thing about adrenalin if you asked me how far from the truck we were when we set up I would have said 150 – 200 yards but the walk back was more like a half mile or more.
All that morning Adam was showing the effects of the stomach virous that seemed to be going around that part of the country and finaly he began calling his guides later that day I was to meet Matt A. while Adam went to deal with his illness I was impressed with the professionalism displaid by this move and in the end was in keeping with the over all picture hunting at Tullich Creek was good professional game management, great food and accommodations fun friendly very able guides with reliable equipment and positive attitudes I’m looking forward to going back.
That afternoon I met and hunted with Matt he had just gotten back from a bowhunt for Whitetails in Kansas I wish I had pictures of the bucks these guys killed very impressive that afternoon was fun but no shooter bucks the next morning we headed out and ran into elk Matt asked what I thought and I said lets go with the target of opportunity (My elk tag was good for an antlerless elk and my wife and I both love elk meat) we tried to get ahead of the elk but our first set up was fruitless and I began to think we had wasted the morning but Matt was positive and said lets keep going there may be a straggler if we keep at it, 20 min. later sureenough we were looking at an elk it was just a calf but Matt said the rancher wants em paired down and there is no better eating. I got in position and when the elk turned I shot nd down it went then it stood back up so I shot again and it went down and stayed there. I then foud out that even small elk can be work even just to quarter it was sure cool watching Matt take the animal apart using the “Gutless method” neat trick he used to get the tender loins out without making a mess. Truth be tod I was really just the third hand in that deal.
No deer that day well none to shoot any ways there was always deer to be seen but the management of the herd there is focused on allowing the bucks with potential to make it to age 4.5 to 6.5 years and those not showing potential to be harvested at age 3.5 if they are still a 3x3 on one of their cull hunts (If you go on their website and view the kil pictures most all of the bucks not 4x4 or bigger were taken on management hunts).
The next morning Adam was back in action so he was my guide again we took off at daybreak for the spot where that 5x5 gave us the slip the first morning and as luck would have it there h was going uphill from the alfalfa fields down near the river where they fed at nite . we went around one hill and up another after a while we began to seedeer does but no buck did he give us the slip again? Adam said get ready I can just see antler tips in that brush I think when the does begin to top out he will follow up the hill it was maddening because I could not see those tips and it took hours for him to move (Really like 5 or 10 min.) I already had the gun up and found him in the scope when he turned I squeezed the trigger and down he went but just like the elk he got back up so I worked the bolt and DAMN I yanked the trigger and missed calm down worked the bolt again focused on the crosshairs and his shoulder bang own he went.
Again it seemed like forever to get to him and when we did there was still just a bit of movement so I shot him again but this one probably was not needed the second shot probably wasn’t neededeither but I didn’t want to chance it.
The buck died at almost the top of a hill overlooking the intersection of the Bighorn and Yellowstone rivers with the cold front coming in there were lines and lines of geese and immense boiling flocks of ducks passing by and over head with the sun still rising the beauty of the seen made it hard to avoid a “Stan Putz moment”.
What to do there when your tagged out?
The ranch has wild pheasants and most of the guides have their dogs there at the ranch plus there is no shorage of coyotes to mess with.
Adam and I took his foxpro out and had a couple come in but not into range with maybe the one whose tracks we saw in the snow that snuck in down wind being the exception.
I really enjoyed my trip to this ranch and would recommend this operation to anyone interested in a western ranch hunt these folks know how to do it right.
It is not a high altitude wilderness hunt so if you are in shape enough to hunt the hills near the Delaware water gap you will enjoy this area and of course the better shape your in the quicker you can get set up when an opportunity presents its self without being winded.
You can go on their website and facebook page and see more pictures of my hunt an others including a video of a really nice young buck that I would have shot my first day had Adam let me but that is why they have the quality game there that they do.
Montana Hunting Guides | Montana Hunting Trips | Tulloch Creek Ranch
https://www.facebook.com/2862899513...0.1416323611./995661167118118/?type=1&theater

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OH! One more thing they fed me real good there to( Sorry no pics of the salads)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Congrats again Professor, I'm glad you had a great time!
Thanks for that Sam and if you recall you were amoung the small number I asked to come along
(I think I asked maybe 3 people) so the postcard would have / should have read, I wish you were here the hunting is beautiful !

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Great pictures and awesome trip...Just one question? Is that a Nazi Carpet in back of the ELK? [lol]

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Great pictures! And what a great trip. Congratulations again. Hell of a 60th birthday present.

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Since this really was my very first rifle hunt ( Before I shot that Elk Calf I never had shot anything larger than a groundhog with a rifle ) I reached out here for info support knowledge and opinions and got far more than I bargained for ( To the person who said I should loose more weight and trim my mustache more often ,well thanks but that's not exactly what I was looking for) that showed me this site has not compleat lay changed over time it is still "Hunters helping hunters".

ABOVE ALL I WANT TO THANK JEFF H. AKA JCCHARTBOY For all of his help knowledge and opinions and this included but was not limited to RANGE TIME, his machine rest,sand bags,Bog Pod, Bipod, and Pelican case ( I have to replace one of those TSA locks body I guess it was deemed a threat to national security.) and above all his encouragement.
Oliver G. aka MadeinUK for the loan of his LEAD SLED and folks like Donna aka LADYBIRD and MAXIMUS who offered their time and knowledge and to those who sufferd my questions in the thread "ANOTHER .270 THREAD" THANKS AGAIN ALL OF YOU I had a great hunt and YOU HELPED!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts