New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Ok, this is my first year hunting in NJ. I have done all my previous hunting in the upper Adirondack Mtns of NY while I was growing up.

Ok, my questions, with all the deer in NJ, do the bucks still form bachelor groups? And at what time of year? Reason for question is this morning, I took a quick ride onto one piece I have permission to hunt and saw the same does and fawns that I usually see there, however, in one of the other meadows, there was a small group of 6 bucks. Two decent by NJ standards, the others pretty small. I have never seen a bachelor group of bucks like this in NJ. Needless to say, got me pumped for the season.

Oh, BTW, from my distance, and through my cheap 7X50s, the looked out of velvet already. At least the bigger ones were.

-dan

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
DiverDan, the bucks in Jersey definately form bachelor groups. It seems these groups last generally throughout the summer months. Generally, from my experiences, they are breaking up out of groups by the time bow season starts.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Yeah, basically what Luv2hunt said. As the first couple weeks of September roll in, they break up.

You will see some younger bucks stick together, but any male looking to breed is usually trying to find turf where he is dominant. He already knows where he stands with his neighboring bucks by now, he just needs to figure out where they arent gonna be when hes looking for lady friends.

Not unusual for the more dominant males to start coming out of velvet yet either. I think it has something to do with more testosterone.

Good luck this year Dan![up]

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,

Being my first year hunting in NJ, I am really not used to this many deer. I the Adirondacks where I used to hunt, you were lucky to see deer in a season, let alone harvest one.

-dan

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Don't worry, they know when the season starts. I haven't found it yet, but somewhere in the woods, nailed to a tree, is a calendar with deer season circled on it :p

·
Registered
889 Posts
As days get shorter and the bucks testosterone levels increase, they become more hostile towards eachother and eventually slit up.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Let's see now, in layman's terms:
The boys get horny and start to chase the bimbos around, eventually fighting over the girls, till they score or are exhausted !
Two legged or four legged I guess it's all the same :D:D

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Zone 7

d

1 - 11 of 11 Posts