New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this guy walking along one of the sand roads in Colliers Mills, is it a baby snapping turtle? It was about 3" long. There is no water that I know of in the area so I'm guessing he got washed down the road from the rains.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
As already stated, yes it's a snapper, the saw like spikes on the back are a dead giveaway if you're unsure. A couple more years and he'll be good for the pot!!

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
is it a baby snapping turtle
A baby would be about the size of a nickle, that one would be over a year already. I say that because my father found one last year that was the size of a nickle and he kept it, now it's about 3" long.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
I just tell the person let them go on their way.
That's the best thing you can tell someone. I've seen and heard of people trying to help them across the road or get them out of their yard and will get bit. That's one bite I don't ever want to experience.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Yeah, it's a snapper like the others have already stated and probably a 1-3 yr old. I have seen baby snappers hatch and they are very tiny to the size of a 50 cent piece and normally hatch in middle-late August.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.