New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there an advantage or disadvantage to a shorter bow (other then less bow to get hung up on obstructions)?

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Advantages of a shorter ata;

Easier to maneuver on stand, in blinds, while stillhunting

Usually faster (shorter limbs, or a more parralell design allow for less limb movement which makes a bow faster)

Disadvantages;
Longer draw archers will find it creates a lot of nock pinch at full draw. (harder to see through peeps due to string angle, and the string is further from your face.
They torque easier
They cant easier

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head right now. hope that helps

G

·
Longer draw archers will find it creates a lot of nock pinch at full draw. (harder to see through peeps due to string angle, and the string is further from your face.
What would be considered a long draw?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
me! 33"

-dan

I shoot a 40" ATA bow.

I still have and shoot my Onieda, which has a long tip to tip, but when the limbs fold it gets a pretty severe sting angle.

To add to Matty, typically, longer ATAs help you hold on the target better. Like everything in archery there are trade offs.

-dan

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I shoot a Mathews Icon (longer axle to axle) over their shorter bows...the longer bows are smoother and usually better on the longer shots..although you do loose some speed its not enough to really worry about, they are also known to be flatter shooting bows (less arrow flex)due to the less need for bigger erratic cams as in the shorter bows

1 - 8 of 8 Posts