New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
for those of you wondering why im asking, My son was diagnosed with autism last year. We are having a rough time getting services through our local school district and i was wondering if their were any more experienced parents on here that may be able to give me some direction. I feel like im fighting a losing battle... any help of info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
My wifes friend has a son that has autisim,I don't mean this in a bad way but he is fun to watch. what I mean is this he is an extremely happy person,although if something messes with his schedule he throws a fit like no other.I can't help but to watch him,the first time i went to their house for a party,when we left my wife yelled at me until i said this."hon have you ever really watched and listened to him,he is extremely amazing in what he can do and what he knows. I wasn't staring at him as much as I was admireing what he can do.

I stated in another thread a while back that after high school one of the places I worked for had handicapped people work for them doing simple jobs. There was some autistic people there that was simply amazing.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
There are special education advocates who specialize in this field to help parents in your situation. Don't lose faith, I'll get some more information for you. Shoot me a pm with an email address.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im not losing faith just looking for another alternative. hiring an advocate is our next step. I just thought i would get some other parents feed back. thanks again guys.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
i have a cousin who's son is autistic but haven't seen or herd from them in years since they moved out of state.wish i could help. but i will say don't lose hope n i'm sure you will find help just hang in there bud

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
frank my wife who is a school teacher said u have to keep nagging nagging and nagging the school distrist. she said do not back down and hold your ground. she delt with plenty of kids like this. raise hell my man and get that little guy some help. if i can help in anyway let me know bud.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
My son was diagnosed with PDD at age three. PDD is a more mild form of autism. We had a hell of a time getting services for him but my wife is a bulldog. She got him all of the services he was entitled to and he is doing great now. He is in mainstream classes now and you would never know he even had an issue.

Early intervention is the key, so make sure he gets the help that you can get for him early on.

I definitely feel for you. I know the hell we went through with those people. If there is anything I can help you with just let me know. My wife can answer a lot of questions and has even advocated for a woman that I work with that was going through the same thing with her son.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Have you dug through the state education laws to see what your district is mandated to provide? BTW, my wife's a special education teacher, proud to say, and our district decided to keep our autistic students here as opposed to sending them out-of-district.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Yes my wife and I had epic battles with the Oakland school syatem getting our son help, and he is just ADHD. sometimes just the mere threat of a child advocate gets their butts in gear.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
sometimes just the mere threat of a child advocate gets their butts in gear.
You are 100% correct.

Also, my wife knew they were trying to dick us around and threatened to go to the newspaper. It wasn't long before we had a new case manager and got everything we requested.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.