New Jersey Hunters banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
Went out only for bear, saw one but did not shoot, would like the season moved out of 6-day jerk week.

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
I'm pretty sure he works for the state & directly with the Black Bear Managment program...

sounds like an anti questionnaire to me or might be a wannabe fish and game member
wow....And no you weren't kidding. These are the guys that give you tickets when you shoot to Many commonish redish hoody like merganser loons & kingfishers with your "guide" on video tape
:)

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
had to change your name cause too many people realized how much of a dbag you were on Swampy?..keep talking $%&^ behind your computer screen [rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl] tough guy over here

·
Registered
443 Posts
Hunted only bear, not enough big deer in NJ to get excited about( also mis managed) would not hunt six day if there was no bear hunting,Baited with sweets and bagels they were so hungry they ate the bark off the blow down it was in.Will not shoot sow with cubs. Suppose to be a managed resource not a shoot em up.Season and harvest needs to be changed 3 days bow 3 days gun in Oct Nov not this#### and am willing to pay extra to support it

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Where you out specifically for bear ? No

Did you bait ? If so where your baits getting hit ? No bait this year

Did you harvest a bear ? No

How did you harvest your bear ? Bait, on a drive, still hunt, etc. N/A

Did you see any bears ? Yes, too foggy to see them clearly through the scope so no shot.

Did you harvest a bear in a prior season ? Yes

Where you being selective and passing on small ones ? Yes

Do you think the season needs to changed and if so, what would you recommend ? Leave it during 6-day but add some earlier days.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Where you out specifically for bear ? yes

Did you bait ?no If so where your baits getting hit ?

Did you harvest a bear ?no

How did you harvest your bear ? Bait, on a drive, still hunt, etc. n/a

Did you see any bears ? no

Did you harvest a bear in a prior season ? yes 2003

Where you being selective and passing on small ones ? no

Do you think the season needs to changed and if so, what would you recommend ? I would like to see just bear days,maybe fri sat sun after thanksgiving.or you buy the tag at the beginning of the season and take the bear with whatever weapon you choose in any season

·
Registered
75 Posts
Do you think the season needs to change and if so, what would you recomend? I agree with everyones comments to have an earlier season, separate from 6-day firearm. I also would like to see a bow season. But what people have to realize is this isnt Canada or Maine, there are 2 times the number of hunters than bears. To keep it fair to all hunters who would like to take advantage of such a great opportunity right here at home the state should restrict anyone who kills a bear to 1 year off. So you killed in 2012, you cannot get a tag for 2013... this way people might TROPHY hunt for a bear, manage the population and give other fellow jersey hunter a chance!

·
Non Typical
2,265 Posts
restrict anyone who kills a bear to 1 year off. So you killed in 2012, you cannot get a tag for 2013... this way people might TROPHY hunt for a bear, manage the population and give other fellow jersey hunter a chance
In the area of Zone 5 where I hunt, if we don't kill them, applications for depredation permits will be applied for and most-likely granted (based on what I've seen over the last few years)based on crop-damage wherein bears will be killed and dumped in the woods. I won't even get to the increase in road kills. What you say about NJ not being like Canada or Maine is correct but also because of the larger areas of suitable habitat / less human population. NJ is not interested in managing bears for a "trophy hunt". It's all about population control. Not for nothing, but I hunt private land surrounded by private land. If my friends and I are not hunting them, then they are not going to get hunted.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hey guys,
Just wanted to ask a couple questions to the bear hunters,

Where you out specifically for bear ? NO; Bear or Deer

Did you bait ? If so where your baits getting hit ? Yes , corn only hit by bith deer and bear

Did you harvest a bear ? 2 year old 155Lbs dressed

How did you harvest your bear ? Bait, on a drive, still hunt, etc. From a ground blind

Did you see any bears ? 1 the first day 1 the last , shot the last, believe they were one in the same

Did you harvest a bear in a prior season ? No

Where you being selective and passing on small ones ? No

Do you think the season needs to changed and if so, what would you recommend? A thanksgiving week 3 day season.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey guys,
Just wanted to ask a couple questions to the bear hunters,

Where you out specifically for bear ? Yes

Did you bait ? Yes If so where your baits getting hit ? Yes

Did you harvest a bear ? Yes 254 lb Boar

How did you harvest your bear ? Bait, on a drive, still hunt, etc. Bait

Did you see any bears ? One

Did you harvest a bear in a prior season ? Yes

Where you being selective and passing on small ones ? Yes

Do you think the season needs to changed and if so, what would you recommend ? Earlier

·
Registered
531 Posts
I hunted for bears and bears only. I baited lightly mostly sense and liquids like syrup of that nature, spent time in the woods scouting main travel routes and where I found the most sign at I set my spot. I had 5 Bears consistently hitting everyday at 4 o clock. 2 sows and 3 juveniles the smallest one weighing about 80 pounds dressed the biggest bear was going to dress around 225 pounds. No I did not harvest a bear at 4 o'clock when my bears came out on schedule as I saw them walking into me I had a dumbass sneak in and set up about 50 to 60 yards in front of me off to my left on the hill as the Bears were making their way into my location this yambag started randomly firing through the thickest of rhododendron swamp you can possibly see I honestly don't think he was doing anything other than trying to scare the Bears or wound them and it even sounded like buck shot flying through the branches. That being said I only had a few seconds of split second shots cuz I was down inside the swamp underneath the leaves and decided to pass, when the Bears regrouped and went up on the hill to my right I had them at 100 yards not being close they all looked like black cotton balls and I could honestly not tell the difference between a 100 pound bear and a 200 pound bear at that distance with them 30 to 40 yards apart, so I passed. The Bears circled back and tried coming into the swamp for a second go I thought this was going to be my chance and I got back down into the thick of it. As the lead bear made her way into the rhododendrons the dumbass decides again to fire into the rhododendrons at this point we are now pushing 4:50 p.m. and I am not in the mood for running after and chasing down a bear and dragging it that far out of the woods so I watched my chances and my month-long work disappear by some dumbass with a Walmart shotgun and bright orange jacket. Yes I have taken bears in the past. The only reason why I was hunting there this year is because everybody that comes over my house for dinner is asking about it since I no longer have any left. Are there things they can do to make it different absolutely have the season a week prior to all of the yam bags and yo buckers walking around out in the woods let the Bears move on their natural timeline and I believe numbers will increase. I sat out there Saturday afternoon and all I did was listen to people screaming over running the entire bottom side of the mountain it was honestly probably one of the most irritating and annoying days spent in the woods but it was a great reminder of why I no longer gun hunt. Also before leaving Monday evening after all the shenanigans that I witnessed and got stuck being a part of I tried walking over to find the dumbass to find out exactly what he was thinking or doing or thinking of trying to do only to find that he just took off down the hill with no regard or attempt to look or see if he even wings wounded nicht anything to any of the Bears Wow and if that wasn't a long roundabout rent of a way to answer your question I don't know what was

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
Did I bait no I was on the ground deer and Bear hunting with my daughter and two bear walked bye. So I shot the one with tags I his ears

·
Registered
505 Posts
Actually took a Deer/Grouse hunting trip to New Brunswick Canada in October and came back with a Bear. I was bow hunting for deer from a climber and didn't see one single deer all morning. What did come in was this bear. So I bought a bear tag and then next morning he was down at day break. I love bear meet so I was happy to bring him home. Grouse hunting, with dogs, was very slow. It is cyclical and the last two years were very slow in the place that usually is great. Anyway it was cool watching the dogs work and they kicked up a couple of Woodcocks.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts