New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys we seen the post about the problems our brother hunters in PA had so far this year, and some of you even went and hunted there. Whats going on in PA is happing now here in NJ, but we can stop it from happening. It's a simple solution, STOP TAKING ALOT OF ANTLERLESS DEER, take 1, 2 maybe 3 per year, but after that let the them walk, there is no reason for any hunter to be taking more then 3 antlerless deer per year. I know the state says go for it, well thats was true a few years ago, today we should be proud of ourselves that we helped reduce the herd to where it is now, but if we continue, we can kick ourselevs in the A** for allowing the herd to get to the point where we would be lucky to see a deer. Also some of you have pressure from friends, on who can take the most deer, well thats not being a TRUE HUNTER, some say well thats all I eat is deer, well 3 antlerless deer and 1 or 2 more bucks can't last a year? Some say well there are too many deer, yes on grounds that us hunters can't hunt. So next time your hunting and you know your freezer is filled, allow that antlerless deer to walk to make some fawns, and to keep the herd going so our kids can enjoy the great sport we all love HUNTING

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
your right,alot of guys shoot at everything that moves ,just shoot what you can use ,let the young ones live alittle .

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
I am ambivalent about this topic....

The area that I hunt in Zone 6 has almost zero does. Therefore, I do not shoot any from there. And when/if I show other guys the area... I ask them not to shoot them either.

But...its up to the individual.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I agree 100 percent well said.
You cant have the if its brown its down mindset because if we keep doing that there will be no more brown.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I'm for a limit on deer as well. Three does a year max. No shooting fawns. Three points a side on bucks. Two bucks a year limit. Make it statewide. I'm composing a letter to NJF&W right now. Dragthor, you're right it is up to the individual and you would like every individual to be a responsible outdoorsman, but we all know people who act irresponsibly. I'm for less government intervention, but when people read the word "unlimited" it means to them take more than what you need. Ever go to an all you can eat (unlimited) buffet? You usually eat more than need to. Just because it's avalable(sp) doesn't mean you have to take it. It may not be an exact anaolgy, but you know what I mean. I'd like to hunt NJ with our children to my last day as well and there is no reason why we can't grow big deer like other states.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One reason the STATE OF NJ allows the unlimited antlerless deer harvest is to PACIFY THE INSURANCE COMPANIES

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi everyone new here . my bro frank dv posted a picture of my 1st buck with a bow last week. Great site i love it.I think we need to take a better look at some of the clubs and what there taking.They kill everything that moves some of the clubs here in south jersey move in like the army.it sick. i can go on and on about clubs it's a sore spot with me. well anyway great site and looking forward in talking.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
I would like to see the new numbers from a deer count Per zone to say how many antlerless Deer can be taken in that zone Also the number of bucks should drop from 6 to 3 or 4 bucks a year. That would be best for the herds...

·
Registered
550 Posts
I agree with you all to an extent..In my zone, zone 13 that is.. there is no public hunting land and almost no towns legally allow hunting..They just opened my town up to a hunt for a select few guys because these does need to be controlled..If we only killed 3 does a year in my zone that wouldnt do anything..One good doe is gonna have 3 fawns the next spring, so that just zeroed each other out and now were back to square one..I believe that it has to go by zones just like it does now on how many deer can be taken a season.. Just my two cents..

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
This is all well and good and I agree 100 percent with what has been said. The problem is getting the massive amount of hunters to agree to do it....The best way is to petition the Regs to be changed to reflect the current herds capacity. Right now some zones have loads of deer(Does and Bucks) Zone 8 is an example. Other Zones like Zone one have heavy poaching and the herd has less Deer than F&G project in it. The biggest problem is the DEP want that money rolling in so they want as many permits sold as possible. This is why the Permits went from a lottery years ago to just walking into the local shop and buying one. MONEY is the root of the problems with NJ DEP which robs Fish & Game blind.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
thats nice... But I mean the numbers of DOE & BUck still in the area alive, so you don't kill off the herds you need numbers to know how to help the herd. I hunted in Texas when you could only take 2 deer a year.

Last spring I counted 40 DOEs and 5 Bucks in my area... This is not counting BB fawns that is 9 DOE to 1 Buck not good numbers, That and I know people that need food is why I take so many DOEs, I have never taken more then 6 DOEs total a year.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
I'm all for the QDM with certain number of pts etc. I would like to see the state limit the number of bucks to 2 a year, one with bow and one with firearm. If you don't hunt with one or the other, OH WELL you lose.

As far as the does, I don't agree 100%. I do believe it should be monitored better and maybe restriced by some what smaller areas than the management zones.
There are a number of areas that are completely over run with deer. Now I'm not going to argue the reasons why such as over building etc. Fact is that there are way too many deer in some areas. If you doubt that, contact me and I'll take you for a ride around the Twp I work for and show you.
Those areas are just now getting to be hunted by bow hunters because firearms just would not cut it in and around homes.
So in those areas I say it should be unlimited does UNTIL an acceptable number per sq mile is reached.

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
I used to take 12-15 does per year but only 2 or 3 from each spot(I had multiple areas).The last few years I only take maybee 2-3 does all year.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts