New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

After reading all of the hype on this and other forums about what crossbows are, and are not capable of, I thought some might like to see an honest report from a bowhunter that has actually shot one.

Melissa and I recently purchased a crossbow so that she can now hunt with me during bow season. While I will continue to bowhunt I also plan on using the crossbow on some days when she can't make it out.

The point of this thread however is simply to give you an honest idea of what these things really are capable of. (Keep in mind we purchased a very high quality crossbow and the average crossbow would probably not be quite as good...but still the general basis will hold true.)

I will keep this short and simple since anyone that has learned to bowhunt will know full well how much work it takes to get a bow tuned, sighted, and shooting well, as well as how much time it takes to develop a decent shooting form.

The comparison...

I bought the crossbow this week over the internet, assembled it myself, and had never fired it or any other crossbows for that matter, prior to today. After arriving at the range today I spent less than 10 minutes, taking only 7 or 8 shots to sight it in. (It was off by more than a foot on the first shot)

I then strolled out 50 yds from my target.... And realizing that the ballistic reticle in the scope only had target dots for 20-30-40 yds I estimated that the distance to the lower post at the bottom of the reticle looked well proportioned for use as a 50yd "guestimate" holdover. I then aimed for the upper right 1" bullseye ...50 yds away....and let fly!!

In less than 20 minuntes time, and despite using a "guestimate" for a holdover...my very first shot at 50yds...missed the 1" bull by less than 1". [eek]

JC

(And yes, this type of accuracy is very repeatable...)

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Better watch what you say JC youll be out of here anyways good luck with the new bow lets hear more what make,optcs,speed any custom work?

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
yeah, that sounds like a primitive weapon that should be shared with a real bow.
no there is no advantage to a crossbow.
why would you think we are gona have a lot of crossover gun hunters?
why would the state think that they shouldn't keep bow harvest and crossbow harvest numbers apart?
there is no advantage, right?
[down]

·
Registered
14,787 Posts
What exacly am I supposed to be "watching" out for??
CHUCK NORRIS!!!![hihi][hihi][hihi][hihi][hihi]

Shoot Straight!

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Smitty,

No custom work whatsover, in fact this was a "sample" model I got used from a company sales rep....330 fps.

JC

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Granted they are extremely accurate, but the fact of the matter the the bolts loses energy quickly past 40yards (With exception to a few xbows on the market) still stands.
I am not sayin there not lethal, I am just pointing out that crossbow hunters should not shoot game past 40yards. Which is exactly what somenew xbow hunters think...ie they can shoot and kill at long distances.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
cool JC pm me if you want to shoot some time icould let you try out my strkeforce wyvern set up it's sweet groups 3 inch at 60 yd

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
so what you are saying is you think it is easier than a Compound Bow. do you think in 20 minutes of time a person who has never shot a compound could have made the same 50yard shot. No Way [rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl] But yet everybody says crossbows are no advantage. Bull thanks for the post

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
I've shot a few of them. The last was an Excal Exocet 200.

With a little more tweaking and a better scope, you'll be achieving that kind of accuracy to 75-80 yards, in a very short time. A rest helps at that distance, but shooting sticks work just fine. They have plenty of power to kill at that distance too, PLENTY.

This is also coming from someone who has shot them, and been in a blind while another hunter killed deer with a few types of crossbows. Will make getting your EAB doe alot easier this year...just park yourself along a powerline cut, or field edge, and knock your doe over out to 80 yards. If your crossbow is really high-end, maybe further.

Granted they are extremely accurate, but the fact of the matter the the bolts loses energy quickly past 40yards (With exception to a few xbows on the market) still stands.
Dave, that's true of only the really cheap Hortons and Barnetts, and a few other low-end models.

In fact, the Exocet 200 comes with a T handle that screws into the rear of the bolt (they have inserts in the rear like the front of an arrow) to help pull the bolts from the target because they bury so deeply, if they even stop in the target.

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
nice shootin',what setup did you purchase?
Hey Browning,

I looked around at several taking into consideration the fact that both and Mel and I will be using it, and the fact that it will therefore be seeing a lot of time in the field.

As I mentioned above I was also able to find a brand new in box "sample" model of the crossbow I was looking for that was being sold by a factory rep. I picked it up for less than 75% of what anybody sells for them retail.

It is the 09' Defender CLS.

JC

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do you know what its FPS and KE are at 40 and beyond?
I can chrono a bolt out at 40yds next time I am shooting and figure out the numbers...However, based on my experience today I would say you are completely wrong in your 40yd estimation. I was shooting my bow on the same target as the crossbow and the penetration at 50yds with the bolts appeared to be substantially more than the penetration of my arrows at 30yds.

JC

1 - 20 of 130 Posts