New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a lot of people in NJ that are about as STUPID as they get!!!

If you saw 4-5 guys in trees in blaze orange with guns, would you pull onto the farm that they were hunting and let your kids start sledding and snow mobiling on the hills directly in front of them at 4:45PM ?!?!?!?

Well, that's what these freakin' idiots did on Friday and Saturday on my leased property!!!
[mad][mad][mad]

I was about 300 yds. from these "brain surgeons". I pointed my gun in a safe direction and at the ground and fired 3 rounds directly down into the ground - a signal for all of my club members to stop the hunt due to an unsafe situation and to further warn the trespassers of our presence and location.

When I walked 300 yds. in 1-2 foot snow drifts across my field to ask the women what the hell she was doing on my "private" property, she stated that she didn't realize that the guys in the trees (wearing almost head to toe blaze orange in clear view within 100 - 300 yds. of her) were hunting!!!

...And, YES, she was BLONDE, but it looked like it was from a cheap bottle of dye!!! I guess the stuff seeped in through her ear and nose openings and gave her brain damage!!!!

She further stated that, "...This hill is kind of the like the community hill for sledding..."

I told her that I was glad that my club members and I could be of assistance and work so hard to come up with the lease money for our property so that they could go sledding and snow mobiling on it for free, then, I threw them off of the property with threats of calling the police to have them arrested for trespassing and being STUPID!!!

Anyone else having these kind of problems???

What did you do to "fix" the problem?[confused]

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Jon,

that was the girl i wanted to hook you up with. so what do you think?........LMAO!!:D:D

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Rather than shooting - I would use a whistle in the future.

Unfortunately, in NJ trespassers have a bit of legal insulation espescially with torts (personal injury etc...). A 'shotgun signal' can be misconstrued as a threat, espescially by dopey trespassers.

You handled it well by spelling it out to them.

Is the property posted "no trespassing"?

If not - it should be.

G

·
If I was you, I would called the local PD, and have tresspassing charges agianst her, the word would get around to stay off that property.......sometimes you have to fight fire with fire

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Had a similar situation years ago, told the guy and his buddies no flying remote control planes on my private land. Then I shot it down!! Never happened again!!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll return the favor someday, Frank!!!!:p

I'm so P'd off right now at these idiots, it's not funny!!! [mad]

I'm gonna see what I can do about having NJ F&W and local newspapers make the public more aware of the hunting seasons and what blaze orange in the woods and trees means. These city folks that have moved out into the the farm lands have no clue and/or are just STUPID!!!

Also, we hunters are held to very strict regulations about trespassing and where we can hunt, so maybe the public should be held more accountable for trespassing, endangering the welfare of a child, and reckless endangerment of themselves and their children when they stick them right in front of hunters hunting legally on private property!!! LIFE IMPRISONMENT or the DEATH PENALTY come to mind as the minimum sentences for these people !!![up][up]

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
So...was the land posted? I think that is a simple solution if it wasn't. If it was clearly posted, then pressing charges for trespassing seems like a clear direction to take.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Jon, i feel your pain, it's a shame people just dont think these days. do you have enough posted signs around?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The property is well posted, but the area that they are entering is open fields.

Posted signs that were stuck in the ground in these fields were knocked down in the past.

As far as the shotgun blasts being misconstrued as a threat, there were about 5 other shots in 15 mins. of my shots on three surrounding properties above this field, to the left of this field just across the street from where they are parking, and about a block away - This area is hunted regularly by other farm owneres and small clubs - If you heard that many shots all around you, wouldn't you take the hint that maybe you're in the wrong place at the wrong time?!?!?!? [confused]

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
I like the idea of the whistle also or some other signal method. Not so much for fear of a threat or whatnot, but if they are all in the woods...how do they know you fired three shots in the ground vs three shots at a deer?

Other than that, I'd press charges and make an example out of someone. Don't let that be the "community snow sledding hill" otherwise you'll be running into that every year there is snow.

Or you can post signs or maybe fill 5 gallon bucks with cement and signs in them. Guys may shoot them up or knock them over, but they are easy enough to pick up. Also wherever the lady parked I would put some signs...including some NO SLEDDING signs. :D

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
What's amazing is that people like that would be the first ones to sue the ever living Sh!t out of you guys, in the event of some sort of accident. And this accident doesn't have to be hunting related either.

What a bunch of idiots!
David

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
JT if I remember correctly you are hunting Sargentsville. Well let me tell you. The cops over in that area are not to kind with hunter. I experience this on two occasions with the local chief. Use to hunt three pieces of 523, just before the Pizza joint on your left going into town and before the blinking light. I eventually stop going there. He is for the local's. But you did the right thing. I'm having the same problems over at the cherryville are of Flemington. Kids on the hill after school, and snow mobiles at night when we are not there.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
remember there are no warning shots in the state of new jersey try using a radio to signal an unsafe situation has occured...

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tony - I'm hunting two minutes from the blinking light.

I heard the same thing about the Chief not being very hunter friendly, but I've been hunting the same property for 18+ years with no incidents or problems except two years ago and now.

This would be the first time making a call, so I'm gonna give the Chief the benefit of the doubt, and see how he handles the problem if these idiots persist in creating unsafe conditions and messing up our hunts.

JT

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I would have kept hunting and just made sure that the shots were in a safe direction if presented. 300 yards is pretty far so I wouldnt ahve let it ruin my hunt. THEN, I would have gotten down around 5pm and taken them to task.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
rutnbk - Those rounds were definitely NOT fired as warning shots at all...Three rounds fired in that quick of a time is one of our recognized signals for help/warning when our cell phones are not working.

All club members know that they are not to confront any trespassers with any kind of aggressive actions whatsoever.

If it is determined that an unsafe condition exists, we all signal each other and unload our weapons.

Unfortuntaely we did not have radios with us, and due to the weather conditions, our cell phones would not get signals in this area on this day (this occurs randomly from day to day), otherwise we would have called each other to stand down.

The three rapid shots was the only way I could alert everyone that something was not right. My guys can all see each other, even though we may be hunting opposite ends of the same field or in completely different fields. When one of us shoots that many rounds that quickly, everyone knows to look in that direction to see if there are any problems - usually by using binoculars.

I gave everyone the hand across the throat sign which means stop the hunt right now and meet at our barn...Everyone showed up there within 10 minutes.

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
Outlaw...We had snowmobiles and Atv's by us all day in Kingwood. Our property is WELL posted to. Ruined 2 guys evening hunts at our club..Where can I get those rubber shot shells at? :D

Pray for the snow to melt.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BobM - One thing to keep in mind is that the ground is frozen.

I've seen slugs and buckshot travel twice that distance after ricocheting off of the frozen ground, at the correct angle.

...You cannot control a ricochet's direction once it hits the frozen ground, so anything within 180 degrees of you presents a potentially unsafe condition, and it's better to err to the side of safety than to have someone get hurt or have a vehicle get damaged.

The rounds I fired were straight down into the ground at the foot of my stand.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
JJoe -

I hear you about praying for the snow to melt, but if this is any sign of how the rest of the winter is going to be, I have a feeling that we're gonna be battling sledders and snow mobilers for many more months to come!!![sad]

JT

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.