New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
something I need to look into in 2006, when I get my SWITCHBACK for the IOWA HUNT.....What are these arrows made from?

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are made from Aerospace Alloy, I am doing searches on them now!! But after I switched this past Year to Easton Axis, with HIT, It pusshed all my broadheads into the shaft, so I have 5 broken arrows this year and its still early

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Some kind of aerospace alloy

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Not to be a turd, but its just an aluminum arrow with HIT inserts.[confused] You have the HIT inserts in your Easton ST AXIS arrows. So its basically an aluminum version of the Axis. How do you like those arrows by the way?

Oh and dont get me wrong, aluminums were great and all, heck they paved the way towards modern arrows, but man did I ever get sick of bent arrows. At least with a carbon its either straight, or broken.

Of course the 7075-T9 is a sturdy shaft, and the 7078 aluminum is even stronger, but they all bend.

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
But after I switched this past Year to Easton Axis, with HIT, It pusshed all my broadheads into the shaft, so I have 5 broken arrows this year and its still early
This is my 2nd year shooting Axis,I hope this is not a common thing going on.So far,I've only killed 2 deer using them and haven't had any problems.They are an expensive arrow,you'd think they'd have all the kinks worked out by now.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is my 2nd year shooting Axis,I hope this is not a common thing going on.So far,I've only killed 2 deer using them and haven't had any problems.They are an expensive arrow,you'd think they'd have all the kinks worked out by now
Well I just started shooting them this year. Maybe its cause they passed thru and the ground was to hard, or maybe it was the broadheads, but Yes they are expensive, and I never had this many broken arrows in a year.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Are you using B.A.R (broadhead adaptor rings) on them Ian?

I use the Easton BAR on my carbon evolutions and they help with alignment, and diameter differences. They would more than likely solve the problem you are having. The Easton ones are a bit costly, but would save your arrows better than the "universal bar".

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
They have to be the right size for those shafts. Im not sure which ACC/BAR size corresponds with the axis shaft, but you might be able to look that up on the easton website.

They will cost about $13 a dozen. When you think about what they consist of, you cant help but laugh. I mean it probably cost a whole nickel to make the entire dozen.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Or even less to make. I am going on the site now to find out, but I still need to purchase more arrows this weekend, i will see what the Guy I use in PA says about these arrows, and the new ones

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
If you want tough arrows that will LAST....go with the Beman Camo hunter.

They are IDENTICAL to the Easton Carbon Evolutions I use. Unfortunately the new version of the evolution (the C2HD) is not as strong as its predecessor. (The new ones are still tough, but not like the older version)

I have been using many of the same carbon arrows since I bought them when they came out. (At least 5 years now, probably more) A few of them have been through at least 4 deer and are still good to go.

THEY ARE TOUGH, straight, and match weights pretty well. I wouldnt use anything else.

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
Matty,what do you think of the Axis? The guys at the shop recomened them.Are they really worth the price?
Mine seems to fly really well and have super penetration.Prior to them,I was shooting Beman ICS 400's.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I switched this past year from the Easton Kinetic arrows. I never had a problem with them and I used them for 3 years. Before that I used the Easton ACC's and they were wonderful. I might have to swithc, I really dont want to mid season, but we'll see

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
I didnt like them from the time I heard about them. The whole idea of having an internal insert led me to believe that it would "splinter" the shaft with solid hits. Some have had this problem, including Ian I guess, and others claim its not a problem.

I never tried them because of that though.

Another concern I had was with fletching adhesion, being a super thin shaft, when you fletch helical, sometimes the vanes dont make contact the whole length. This also causes problems with shoot through prong rests. Doesnt leave a lot of space on the shaft to p [no swearing please] through the prongs.

I LOVE my Eastons, but Ive always heard good things about gold tip arrows as well. They are probably worth looking at. Ive heard of guys shooting them into brick walls and not damaging the shaft. WOW! Mine have hit trees, rocks, bones, etc, and they are still good with no stress cracks, but I cant claim a brick wall as a trophy yet!:D

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just got of the phone with Gene, My srchey guy in PA, he said that the arrows I am looking @ the aero alloy, is part aluminum, but more rigid and stable than the carbon. EXPENSIVE!!!!!

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
I've seen too many pictures of carbons exploding off the rest and splintering into the bow hand of the shooter. I know it's not common, but it does happen. I'll stick with aluminum arrows, a little slower, but alot of KE.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts