New Jersey Hunters banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Arrowed this deer sat afternoon. I talked to another hunter in the area and he said this is a 21/2 year old button buck.He's been seen the last two years and for some Genetic reason he just won't grow antlers. SO he came in I needed a antlerless deer to fill my EAB requierments so I took him. He was a fat boy and I got alot of meat out of him. Now it's all racks.

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
He looks like he's been broken off.he isn't a BB.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Congrats!! Love the future of our sport in the picture shooting dads deer and helping dad hold up the trophy.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
You can all flame me for this, but I have to say it.

Luknikk, are you for real?

Why do you keep shooting young bucks to fill your EAB?

The whole point of EAB is to get rid of FEMALE deer to balance the herd. To be quite honest, those antlers look like they were broken off. Thats not a button buck.

Im sorry to be so critical, but this is very disheartening to see coming from a seasoned hunter. I hope Im not hunting the same woods as you, because this is not proper herd management. :(:(:(:(

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
How much did the deer weigh in?

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
those antlers look like they were broken off.
Matty,I said the same thing,thats not a BB. it looks like a buck that tangled with the wrong bigger big.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
I must have missed your post Dbuck. I completely agree with you though, definitely broken off antlers.

·
Registered
587 Posts
2 1/2 yr old Button buck or broken anlters = get it out or the gene pool. Weak antlers are on a good treat to be having in a herd.

Concrats!!!

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
2 1/2 yr old Button buck or broken anlters = get it out or the gene pool. Weak antlers are on a good treat to be having in a herd.
It doesn't look like a 2 1/2 year old deer by the circumferance of the antlers,definately 1 1/2 year old that got in a fight with a bigger buck.

G

·
who cares if it's a button buck, antlerless, or even if it had a rack days before. Can't you guys just be happy for luknikk for getting a deer, if he's happy for his harvest then you all should be also.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Not that you can age a deer without looking at its molars, but I would be very surprised if he was more than 1.5 and it is definitely not a button. I agree it looks like a YOUNG buck with broken off antlers. I agree with Matty, let these deer grow up so they can reach their potential before they are harvested and the whole point of EAB is to harvest a female animal so the herd will be reduced.

·
Registered
432 Posts
You people are so critical on this site.
Who cares if they broke off or not?!?!? ANY animal taken with a bow is a TROPHY!!! because of this ridiculous QDM policy I have had to p [no swearing please] up some Monster Bucks, cause I haven't taken a doe yet!!!
Most hunters in this state have to hunt on public land and don't have the luxury of having private property. QDM is not to generate larger bucks, it's job is to control the deer population. Congrats on an excellent Trophy and ignore what some of these ""Wanna be Critics" has to say.

·
Registered
889 Posts
QDM is not to generate larger bucks, it's job is to control the deer population.
You are obviously confused between QDM and EAB, Let me spell it out for you:

QDM definition: Quality Deer Management
QDM purpose: (as quoted from the Digest): "The goal of this antler point restriction strategy as part of quality deer management is to reduce harvest pressure on the 1-1/2 year old antlered deer in the expectation that they will survive to produce larger antlers as older males."

EAB definition: Earn a Buck
EAB purpose (as quoted from the Digest) "Earn-a-Buck is a tool to reduce the growth of herds in areas where the harvest of antlerless animals under regular harvest guidelines is insufficient to reach desired population levels."

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I agree with Matty this deer doesnt look like a button and there are plenty of does in the woods to let this little guy walk.
JMO

·
Registered
550 Posts
Swiper, im not trying to start trouble but i think it is pretty obvious that QDM is not just for thinning out the doe population, but also for growing bigger more mature buck..Hence the Quality in QDM..You should just pick a spot to shoot does, before you go into a spot with monster bucks in it..That way you wont have to p [no swearing please] them up when they come by.. [up]

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Flipper,Swiper,Lukinuk, PLEASE!!read page 18 in the 2005 Hunting Digest.Flipper,do you really feel 1 1/2 year old bucks should have "shatter resistant" antlers or they are genetically inferior?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.