New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Monmouth County Parks will hold a public meeting tonight at Tatum Park in Middletown at 7 PM. I just read about this in today's Asbury Park Press and confirmed it on their web site and on the phone answering system. (732-).
It will be very important for all those who wish to hunt these parks to attend or for those who will help to support their fellow sportsmen. The NJOA has proved that "Unity Works"
Please attend and pass this message on to all those concerned.
You know that the anti's will be there.

Thank You,
Jerry Natale
Central Region Federation BOD.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
I will NOT support deer hunting ONLY in parks. If the state & county parks want their deer problem solved by hunters they SHOULD allow turkey, waterfowl, small game & Trapping too. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
I made it last year but had a late meeting tonight. Let us know what the turn out was. My guess, about 10-12 hunters and four antis (the Faraci's, the attorney and the runner lady). Still need more hunters!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bow only is ridiculus what about the shotgun hunters or black powder hunters. We are all sportsmen and must stay united.[up]

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Willemo you are correct. The meeting went well just don't know ho[confused]w the will vote on the cull hunt.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Im not anywhere near the area, but is it going to open to public, or just for one lucky club?

Im in Bridgewater, and there is alot of prime land, only open to a certain club though. Sucks.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
If the park is bow only and they dont want shotty/muzzleloaders I have to say I will take what I can get.
I think there's a balance of politics and management going on. The Park's Annual Report is a fairly well written study and clearly from a conservation aspect. They know the culling is necessary. However, when Mrs. Wealthy Smith can't go jogging on a trail one day in mid-January because she hears a shot shell a mile away; she contacts one of the "friends of the park" and boom, compromise is made. If it gets to the point where more than archers are needed (and it could); I am sure a case would be made to allow guns. However, I'm a little concerned the idea of letting park workers have exclusivity to certain parks is heading in the wrong direction. Will have to wait and see.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
clearly from a conservation aspect. They know the culling is necessary.
For deer only not the entire balance for wildlife. I seen there report online it's based entirely on the browse line/ food plot studies & the damage to private land that borders the county park. The allowing hunters into taxpayer owned land to solve a problem the county park system created is self serving at best. If people would resist doing the parks bidding the park would mostly open it to all taxpayers not the few that are picked in a lottery. A far as bow only that goes to dividing hunters into groups. Hunters need to stick together!

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
If people would resist doing the parks bidding the park would mostly open it to all taxpayers not the few that are picked in a lottery.
What lottery? Anyone who wants to hunt it is permitted, even out of county.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
There was talk of limiting the # on hunters. I thought that would be a lottery drawing. I know other counties have limited the # of hunters on the different parks.
All the guys who want bowing hunting only be careful the gun hunters don't turn on you & drag their feet on the reduced bow safety zones.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Yeah, I know other counties limit their hunters and that talk is disturbing if Momouth wants to head that way and I'd disagree with that, but I'd heard they weren't. I also disagree with the $20 fee to hunt they had proposed since hunters are providing a service. Of course, I'd have no objections to limiting it to Mon. County residents only!:p

As to limiting to bow only, don't get me wrong, I was just commenting on their possible motives for doing so. Actually, last year I stood up at this same meeting and commented that they had needlessly eliminated gun hunts from 4 parks. One of the parks doesn't even have public access trails, so clearly it was a politics decision to quiet the antis!

Overall though, I think the program, if allowed to continue unpressured, is fairly well run and should be better used as a model to educate the non-hunting public. Every year seems like a fight though!

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I have hunted the parks since they opened. I used to hunt them with all weapons so I am not against guns. One reason they stopped the gun hunting was the # of complaints tripled during the gun season. So in order not to loose the hunt all together they removed the guns from the parks where most of the complaints were generated.
As for limiting the # of hunters, this is a good idea in some of the parks. Take Tatum for example, there is about 60 huntable acres. You have 40+ guys with treestands 10 yards apart. You have now run the deer out of that patch of woods and kill little or no deer. Is this what the park wants? Is this wise deer management? No it's NO deer management.
Lastly I think the fee is needed to keep the parks open. Right now monmouth county workers are dealing with wage freezes and such and the budgets are tight. Is $20 to much to ask to keep the program going and cover the cost of posted signs and offset overtime? I think not.
Step back and look at the big picture. Monmouth county is the core of anti activity in NJ. To keep these hunts going is work. I support the park system and anything they have to do to keep this going is fine with me.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
I hunt the hunterdon county parks and I have no problem with them limiting the number of hunters. It limits the number of guys to what the property can actually support and makes popular days, like the 6 day opener, actually enjoyable to hunt. There's plenty of properties and their program runs concurrent with the F&W seasons so there's opportunity for everyone to hunt, bow and gun. I do think they should open it up to more than just deer season though. I can't tell you how many times I've said that a property would be great for waterfowl or turkey but you can't hunt it. With the type of people that are starting to move out here more and more though, I doubt that will ever happen.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
A far as bow only that goes to dividing hunters into groups. Hunters need to stick together!
As the former president of UBNJ, I will always try to promote bowhunting, however some of these parks because of close proximity to neighbors, may need to be bow only! The other bigger parks should be opened to gun hunters. Most of the complaints were against illegal drives through the parks, others ranged from shooting coyotes or not putting out their parkimg permits! I say allow guns in the big parks and throw the a$$holes who violate the rules out. Don't punish the majority of good hunters!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lastly I think the fee is needed to keep the parks open. Right now monmouth county workers are dealing with wage freezes and such and the budgets are tight. Is $20 to much to ask to keep the program going and cover the cost of posted signs and offset overtime?
Nj Bowmen becareful what you wish for $20 this year what next year $30 or $40. At this point we should see if there is any cost(IN Writing) before charging us. Lets not jump the gun. Just my 2 cents

1 - 20 of 44 Posts