New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you allowed to build and use your own ladder stands on WMA's provided you do not bolt them to a tree but use ratchet straps instead?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I dont see why not. You can use climbers ( provided they dont mar the tree) What would be the differance as long as it is strapped like you said.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
I dont see why not. You can use climbers ( provided they dont mar the tree) What would be the differance as long as it is strapped like you said.
just don't use an expensive one. and maybe take a picture of it if you ever want to see it again.....

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I've never seen a ladder stand with legs, but I've heard they manage to walk awat from WMA's. Your best bet is probably a climber.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I know 2 guys who did this. They chained and locked a piece of plywood over 4 of the rungs so you could not climb up. Both got legs and walked away within a week. They spent a lot of time building them.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I know that in zone 4, anything left in the woods for more than 24 hours is considered permanent and the COs can confiscate them. There are a few permanent stands still left but they are few and far between.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I have a friend who bowhunts a little and is very good with his hands. On the side he tries some "hobby" inventing with some interest from manufactures but nothing too serious.

He's been trying to come up with a theft-proof ladder stand for about five years with no success.

I told him the only thing that would work is brick and concrete. And even then someone would cut the tree down.

The idea was thrown around here a while back about minature gps units to track down the bad guys. At this point that may still be a costly measure. Perhaps when the price and size of gps units goes down like many electronic gadgets do over time.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
wma you can build a stand but it becomes the property of the state. so by rights you can't keep people out of them. but most co's will tell the other person to get out of the stand if in fact they know who built it. but really first come first serve. a perm stand to most means claimed ground and move and some don't[smirk]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.