New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been trying since Jan. 1st, but all deer seem nocturnal. I tried early in the morning, late afternoon, waited until dark, but every time I check my cameras, deer come out around 6:30pm, and leave by 5:30am. Did not have a single daylight deer picture.
Is this what the rest of you are experiencing?
Any suggestion on how to overcome this?

It's been the worst season ever...

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Is this what the rest of you are experiencing?
No :)

does.jpg

To be honest, I had this camera out for about the last 4 weeks, and this is the only picture I got. So... yeah... hasn't been great either here. I just find it funny that I see no signs or sounds of anything for a month - EXCEPT for this one single New Year's party these does decided to put together while I wasn't there. Not cool - I didn't even get an invitation in the mail! :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No :)

View attachment 50178

To be honest, I had this camera out for about the last 4 weeks, and this is the only picture I got. So... yeah... hasn't been great either here. I just find it funny that I see no signs or sounds of anything for a month - EXCEPT for this one single New Year's party these does decided to put together while I wasn't there. Not cool - I didn't even get an invitation in the mail! :)
Yeah. Frustrating, isnt it. These are the pics I get almost every night!
Deer.jpg Deer1.jpg Deer2.jpg

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
You have to hunt closer to the bedding areas, not over your bait, you have been patterned. See where they are coming from and move 100-200 yards in that direction away from bait area. The deer have to be coming from somewhere to get where your camera's are.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Get next to the bedding area closest to a feeding area at this time of year. Deer try to conserve energy during cold weather and therefore bed close to their food source.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Buck 154, I wouldn't be thinking to long about that guy, he has some decent mass ...........but he could always use one more year. I have 2 feeders out, 1 about 40 yards off the back of my house in my back yard and 1 about 60 yds. off the side of my house in a little hollow. The feeder in the hollow gets hammered nightly, very few day shots. The feeder in my back yard which was hammered all during the day gets corn piled up and all I get is shots of turkeys. I already have gobblers strutting around all jacked up. No deer action on the feeder in the open even at night. Looking like I have 2 birds pushing 18 to 20 lbs. I'm trying to get ACORNS......maybe they are the answer.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
I have a property where it is 70% Daytime activity.....I just pulled the camera on the farm that is a mile away . Haven't been there since opening week archery, every picture was between 10pm-2am. No bait , & no pressure on my property, Doesn't mean the neighboring properties are putting pressure on the deer.

·
Registered
267 Posts
They were moving this afternoon in the snow.. had 3 does come in at 4 o'clock at 25 yards got busted lifting the bow up they took off..30 minutes later 4 more were coming in until a coyote came and chased them off. Then saw some more that were making their way to me but didn't get to me by dark... thought the weather would put them on their feet I was right just couldn't capitalize on it.. other than today they have been completely nocturnal

·
Registered
410 Posts
IMO, deer are nocturnal, I will never believe this crepuscular stuff. Their eyes glow just like all other Nocturnal creatures. Sometimes they move during legal light and we get one.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Buck 154, I wouldn't be thinking to long about that guy, he has some decent mass ...........but he could always use one more year. I have 2 feeders out, 1 about 40 yards off the back of my house in my back yard and 1 about 60 yds. off the side of my house in a little hollow. The feeder in the hollow gets hammered nightly, very few day shots. The feeder in my back yard which was hammered all during the day gets corn piled up and all I get is shots of turkeys. I already have gobblers strutting around all jacked up. No deer action on the feeder in the open even at night. Looking like I have 2 birds pushing 18 to 20 lbs. I'm trying to get ACORNS......maybe they are the answer.
Im in no hurry. I got 2 mature bucks this year so I really dont need to take another

·
Registered
8,512 Posts
Relocate. Or get out before the next storm front. They may get them on the move early.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
That's what everyone is saying. I don't use cameras. They are a waste. Show you everything you won't kill.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts