New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of tree stands does everyone prefer for archery season? Hang on? Ladder? Climber? I have a climber and a double wide ladder... and after my first archery season appreciate the ability to move freely so I think I need to get a few hang ons with just the standing platform and a seat.

Dennis

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
What ever stand makes you feel safe is the best. for moving around alot I would hunt on the ground. Natureal ground blinds( downed tree/ brush pile/ stone wall ) or popup blinds ( better for turkey and when it can be set-up for days ). As for tree stands climbers would be your best bet, but not all trees are round and streight. Don't forget a good body safety system.

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
Well I've got 2 climbers and just took advantage of Cabella's sale and picked up a hang-on. I hunt public land so I'm going to find an out of the way spot and lock it on. If it gets stolen I'm not out much. If I get 1 deer from it then it was worth the $. Beats waklking in all the time tote'n one on your back. I love just getting there and not having to set up. But it's all part of the game. To bad all hunters can't be trusted. Well hunters can, poachers and theives can't.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
I have several ladder stand through out alot of my properties i have to hunt, but when i use a climber, I use a Lone Wolf, Let me tell you, If you havent seen one or used one, You should!!!! It folds compact, easy to use, and by far VERY LIGHT WEIGHT!!!

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
I like my summit climber. It is a really solid platform. It allows me to change locations easily and i can take it out of the woods with me at the end of the day without having to worry about someone stealing it. I do have other stands but i use them sparingly. The only downside to climbers is as mystic said not all trees are round and straight.

·
Registered
612 Posts
What ever stand makes you feel safe is the best.
Don't forget a good body safety system.
Great advice.

To be honest, I don't like climbers all that much... if you want to get up to any elevation, the adjustment on the ground level needs to be pretty severe (don't forget that trees taper as they go up). I sometimes find myself having to readjust the stand while in the tree to have a level platform (not a good idea). I have a climber but would rather use my hang-on stands... my advice, before you buy one, borrow one of each and try them out.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a climber and a ladder stand, and it figures i think id like the hang on the best.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
I like a BIG hang on stand with arm rests. That way when you dose off you won't roll out of the tree and test your safety harness.Lately I've been using the BIG HORN RAM stands by Hunter's View. But at 30lbs. pulling them up 35' into a tree is a real chore, so they stay there for the season!It takes me almost 2 days to get all 12 of my stands up :(

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
For bowhunting I use a Loggy Bayou climber nice and light for those long walks in....For an all day sit I also have an Ol'Man climber.. Great stand light and real comfy.... For the gun season I use a summit climber its real comfy and I like the shooting rail to steady the gun... but its a little heavy..I also use a few Ameristep hang on's I found them pretty cheap so if someone walks of with one I'm not out that much..Infact I had one stolen of my property in NY this past year....They also got my climbing stick

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
i love my summit bushwacker (i think it's called)! it's the best stand i ever had. i have a lockon i use if i can leave it for a long period of time. i hate lugging the climbing sticks or screwing in pegs.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You have hunters view treestand log on to their web site their safety harnesses were recalled.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I have been using a Summit Goliath for a couple of years and it is great. The customer service from Summit is tops. When I called them with an issue with my stand a few years ago they sent me a new one. They now have a very loyal customer. I also have a Gorilla hang-on that is real nice for those perfectly located trees that are not climbable with my Summit.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My issue with the climbers seems to be that it has too many items I have to worry about manuvering my bow around to get into position for a shot. More chances for me (a beginner) to hit and make a noise. Seems to me the hang ons with just the seat and platform are perfect for bow season. But my ladder stand, double wide is perfect for firearm season, has the foot rest and the shooting rail.

Dennis

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
take your climber and go climb a tree and shoot some arrows. A tree stand is like anyother part of your hunting gear you need to get used to it and you don't have to be that high. go up about 4 feet or so and shoot your bow.move around and pretend your hunting and following a deer at full draw. I use a long bow in my climber and I will bet it is longer then your bow..

·
3,413 Posts
I've got a Summit Viper XLS - great stand, but my favorites are my Loc-Ons. I have 3 PS - III(s) and a Loc-On Black Lightening, love them hang on stands!

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
i'll buy nothing but summit's from now on. they have the cable system. no moving parts.

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
I have a bunch of different brands, but by far the aluminum Gorilla's work best for me. I have two summit climbers, but they are bulky and not as easy to carry in long distances. Also, I can set up the Gorilla as quick, if not quicker than the climber, and with less noise. Another thing I don't like about climbers, is if you drop something, guess what...work back down that tree and then work back up to where you were. With a hang-on, you slip down the steps quietly and sneak back up...no sweat, no noise (yep, I drop things once in a while).

I have a few of the Black Lightning stands, but in cold weather, those things snap and pop like a .22 cal rifle going off. I still use a few of those Amacker Tim-R-Loc stands, API's, Cabelas EZ Hang stands, a Bear River stand, 3 or 4 Ameristep grizzly's, a few Big Boss stands (for extreme heights I like bigger platforms) and have about 15 Rivers Edge Bandit/Renegade stands. The Bandit/Renegade stands are great because they are cheaply priced, but very sturdy and use a chain instead of a strap. These are the stands I put in place months ahead of season, or sometimes leave out for a year or two without having to worry about dry rot on a strap. Always check the stand if you leave it out for a period of months, or years. In fact, I pull any stand left out for two seasons and go over everything closely before using it again.

I've probably used nearly 75 percent of the stands out there, and the Gorilla Silver Back is, in my opinion, the best for all around mobility when bow hunting. Lone Wolf makes a great stand too, but they are way to expensive, and in my opinion, no better for what I do than the Silver Back.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
I have a Woods & Waters climber stand. I think that they are one of the best stands on the market. This stand is quite and easy to use, it also does not slip at all. The only thing I don't like about it is when I bought it I bought the one with the smaller platform so when I Bow hunt it is hard Draw back sometimes cause you are close to the tree behind you. Shotgun hunting with it is great. If I were to get another I would buy another Woods & Waters but one with a bigger platform for Bow Hunting.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts