New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friday afternoon I went into a shop in northern NJ and bough a G5 meta peep. This only cost about $12 but when I was wrun gup the total was $18. When I asked about the discrepancy I was told there is a $5 service charge for using the press. I said I didn't really agree with this but the shop was busy and I knew I needed the peep so I paid.

Now this is a peep I bought there on a bow I bought there and was done by a person who I personally felt was extremely under qualified as they refused to tie the peep in and then advised me that was there was absolutely no reason to do so. This whole process should have taken 30 seconds instead it took about 15 minutes with the person just looking at my bow in the press as if they were wondering what to do next. I buy all my stuff from this shop, but wouldn't call myself a regualr.

WHat do you think? am I right in getting miffed over a $5 charge?

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
was done by a person who I personally felt was extremely under qualified as they refused to tie the peep in and then advised me that was there was absolutely no reason to do so.
I would have asked for a different tech and waited or leave the bow if need be. The customer is always right.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did buy the bow there, and all the other accessories over the last 2 years. The only thing I don't buy from them are arrows cuz i make my own.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Couple things...

It's not an easy business to be in. They made about $3 on the peep. Some items you make a dollar or two or would lose money if you tried to compete with mail order pricing. Like I said, not an easy business to be in, so when you pay more or pay for services, just remember, you're paying to keep the doors open on something that is convenient for you. You could drive to Dicks or Cabelas instead and have it screwed up by someone that probably doesnt know anything about archery.

While it sucks that you had to pay $5 to throw a bow in a press and put in a peep. (sucks because you didn't know you had to be charged) He should have mentioned it. That's where he went wrong.

Would you have been able to put in the peep yourself though?

As far as not tying it in, it should be tied in. Even if just around the safety groove.

But I do leave them untied for about 100 shots or so before I tie them in. This way if they happen to rotate or need to be adjusted, you can do so easily. Then tie it in when everything is spot on. It won't shoot out of the string unless your string has like no pressure on it. But it can be knocked out of the string.

If your bowstring is not new though, it shouldn't move. Could have been tied in. It's not hard to do, hopefully you can do it yourself and I'm sure I've posted a tutorial on it somewhere on this site.

·
Registered
8,066 Posts
i paid the same at Sportmens Center, same peep the g5 meta! 5 bucks labor and the cost of the site and as always im happy with there work[up][up] if ya think you got robbed than put it on youself[hihi] have fun

·
Registered
661 Posts
I was at a northern nj archery shop with my bro and he needed a new peep and d-loop put on. The guy who pu ton his G5 peep said, " before you draw yoru bow to shoot you have to turn the peep so when you draw it draws straight" ... I looked at him like he had 8 eyes along with my brothers.Until another employee without hesitation tied the peep in corrrectly so it would stay straight and align perfectly with his sight.

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Whatever it cost is the price isn't it? Now how much do I owe you and it's paid and good bye not after the fact? Then its questioned and in all fairness to the shop others are telling you got Robbed?

Come on. Others always talk this nonsence and the ones who talk about getting robbed whats the sence.

Now I could see saying it if you got had by Bernie Maddoff who was ridding in his Rybovich on yoor dollar.

They are trying to survive in a flooded market who have bills to pay and you needed their service.

What did they rob actually a couple sodas and a candy bar?:p

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1. I can put a peep in myself. The string was not new.

2. I beleive in paying for service and then getting that service. Taking 20 minutes and putting the bow in the press twice for something that should take realistically 3-4 minutes beginning to end is a bit much.

3. The part that probably made me start this thread was the whole "you dont need to tie it in." granted a peep probably wont come out it's not unbeleivable to think that a twig or stick could move the peep going up a tree in the dark.

4. I'm also tired of the this whole idea that everyone is just trying to make a living. If you can't do your profession well enough to do business then you need a new job. these may be extremes, but I don't like the idea of paying for something I can do better myself.

Lesson learned: buy an X-press and serving.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
OH and Matty, I think we all have put in a peep with a screw driver and one point in our lives
Yes, many probably have, but I actually cringed when I read that!:D I could just picture a screwdriver being wedged into an expensive custom string...[ninja](shivver)

It's easier to draw the bow and let someone install the peep if you really have to do an emergency peep install without a press. At full draw, most of the load is on the cables so....

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
its a business - they dont open up every morning and say what can I do for free. they want and need to make a profit to stay open. fee wise any work just like a car they should tell you

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Quote:
They are trying to survive in a flooded market who have bills to pay and you needed their service.

Flooded market????? I WISH it was a flooded market down here. I have a minimum 1 hour drive to get anything I really want.

hyde, you got that right. i'm not happy with any of the stores down here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.