New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my dad is starting to get me into hunting and fishing and i was wondering is shooting a bow easier with targets and practices or actual hunting?[confused]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hes taken me out scouting with him and hunting with him but hes been using a gun now and he says maybe when its bow season maybe i can go. so hes been getting me into practices

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
I practiced until shooting my bow was almost second nature to me. I had 9 months to really hone my skills prior to hunting season. And another month beyond that until I got my first deer. I will say that if you don't feel comfortable, you simply don't take the shot. I still make a habit of once I'm settled in the blind I pull back at a few angles just to see what potential shots are good and which ones aren't. As the seasons change, leaves drop, trees fall etc etc shooting lanes can change. I also found very quickly that i needed to really work on my upper arm strength which greatly improved my comfort level with the bow.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well hes trying to help me so i can go hunting with him but im stil having trouble pulling the string on the bow back to shoot the arrow, is there a piece that could go on it to help pull it back easier?[confusedagain]

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
I practiced until shooting my bow was almost second nature to me. I had 9 months to really hone my skills prior to hunting season. And another month beyond that until I got my first deer. I will say that if you don't feel comfortable, you simply don't take the shot.
Great advice[up]Get into 3d shooting also,the best "real hunting" practice available,farmers sportsmans club holds 3d shoots from spring thru summer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Follow up question...

Mom of three with limited time and space...

Between now and bow season 2012, how much should I plan on practicing per week? I would like to do more, shorter sessions. But is that a good way to practice?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Yes.Especially for a beginner.If you shoot too much you will start to get shaky and lose your accuracy.
I shoot one arrow off my deck whenever I can,sometimes daily.
You Don't get a warm-up shot at a Deer, you usually get one shot,Make that one shot count.
Best of Luck

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
If you are having trouble drawing back, you definitely want to concentrate on your arm strength. This will help you the most. Then shoot a very short distance without concentrating on a target, this will bring your form and your mental shot sequence up to par. Then when you are comfortable with your bow you can start shooting at targets. It will be easy to get discouraged if you have a hard time shooting your bow well. Just practice practice practice. The hunting is a whole nother story. That is the next lesson grasshopper:)

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
Mom of three with limited time and space...

Between now and bow season 2012, how much should I plan on practicing per week? I would like to do more, shorter sessions. But is that a good way to practice?
Mom of 3? You've got 3 excellent "arrow puller" candidates right there [rofl] Shoot a few arrows and then have the kids go pull them out of the target for you [up] If your kids are old enough, get them a bow and let them join you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I shoot one arrow off my deck whenever I can,sometimes daily.
You Don't get a warm-up shot at a Deer, you usually get one shot,Make that one shot count.
This is really interesting. I hadn't thought of things quite that way. I have a miniscule backyard, but enough space for a beginner. I can certainly do a shot in the morning and a shot in the evening most days! And as we say in the Army, practice doesn't make perfect...perfect practice makes perfect!

Mom of 3? You've got 3 excellent "arrow puller" candidates right there rofk Shoot a few arrows and then have the kids go pull them out of the target for you thumbs up If your kids are old enough, get them a bow and let them join you.
Well, the oldest is not quite 4, but DYING to bowhunt with me. I tried a kiddie bow with"arrows" (dowels with foam rubber tips) and he couldn't quite pull it back. But maybe in a couple of months. But I bet he'd love to collect arrows!!

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
When you get a chance to shoot your first deer, your adrenaline will be pumping and it might psych you out a bit. Sometimes before i practice, i'll run in place or do something that makes me lose my breath, therefore i can focus on controlling my breath when i draw back and have good accuracy when it comes times to release on a deer. I had one guy tell me do 3 laps around your house then pick up your bow and shoot. See how accurate you are under pressure and breathing heavily.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Def. like that philosophy....i have young kids so bow hunting is not as frequent ....during nap time the other day i ran into the back yard fired half doz. arrows..between each shot I ran bak and forth to target.....it s true....if u cant be in the woods do something everyday as prep...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts