New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everybody use ase a back stop behind there target? We are thinking about making a range in our lake community. I need to come up with some ideas to present to the board. Any help would be great thanks.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
back stop? half the fun is looking for arrows in the green briar in shorts.:D

pile of fill dirt. no grass to keep trimmed.

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
i dont normally miss my block but i have a straw bail behind it. cheap and if i need to grow grass just take a handful [hihi]

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I've heard marine grade foam blocks work very well, can be cut easily to any size. lso can be covered with burlap or silt fencing for a cleaner look.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
The side of my detached garage works well, but it's not for sale. Depending on your conditions, bales of hay are comparitively cheap in the balance and work well if space is limited, otherwise, a dirt mound doesn't need replacing once in awhile. Thing of it is, you want to capture "stray" arrows for safety, yet not damage them if you can help it. Your real issue is going to be, how big to make the backstop being it's a community build and many novices will want to kick the tires, so to speak. So, don't fully depend on the backstop for safety and have them shoot towards an uninhabited area beyond if at all possible.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
We use an uprooted tree thats right on a woods line behind my aunts house. Also have a 5ft sq styrofoam block. The roots and dirt stand about 12ft x 12ft... perfect[up]

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
Horse stall mats...they come in different thickness and sizes...you just build a frame and hang them on the frame. the will stop anything you throw at em as long as they are hanging and free swinging. I need to buy some for my personal range.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
hang some old carpet from a few 2x4s. Space the hanging carpet @ 4-6 inches apart. The carpet does a good job of catching any stray arrows with field points. I never had a broadhead hit the carpet so I don't know how wellit would work at stopping one.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.