New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been hunting around alot of low pines...I like to get higher than 15 feet but alot are underdeveloped...one good thing is even with no leaves on oaks I have great cover and the deer move well through the thickets that are near them. I picked up this product and thought it was just a cover scent I could spray on my clothes before I head out to help reduce my risk of being winded...it says not to spray on clothing..I guess they want you to use scent wicks? wtf am i suppose to do hang a bunch of scent wicks all around me?[confused]

·
Registered
454 Posts
Never saw that before. Dont know why it would have a spray top but say not to spray it on your cloths, what do they want you to spray it on??? Your cloths sound loke the best way to use it...

·
Registered
13,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you effin' kidding me,just go hunt
I know I laughed when I saw that too....I wanna see the ingredients and see if it will hard clothing...I dont see what the issue is spraying it on clothes...I am hunting, im hunting low pines so I need all the help I can get not to get busted by the buck ive been after

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Rub a little behind your ears [rofl] most guys will spray it on clothes behind the knees and elbows and on boots. it smells real strong so if you don't want your clothes to smell like it dont put it on the clothes it will also work if you spray it on the tree you are hunting.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Never saw it but if your hunting in heavy pines why not? Im sure it will work as a cover.

I did try Shines white acorn scent. Its a cover scent and attractent. It worked very well the first time I used it. I had deer follow my footsteps and smelled the rungs of my ladder stand. They were circling around sniffing all over. I thought it was a miracle spray. However, after using it for a few years I realized it the perfect time of the year when they were searching for acorns. It was right after the leaves all dropped after a storm. That seems to be the best time to use it. Now when we get those storms that blow the majority of the leaves off I will always use it. Give that stuff a try next year. It does work but the time has everything to do with how effective it is.

Sorry to get off topic but since you were talking about cover scent I figured you might be interested.

·
Registered
9,869 Posts
Try using just a scent eliminator like dead down wind or the Primos silver xp. Its late season. The deer are not going to fall for any gimmicks. Any foreign odors you put into the air is going to raise a red flag especially to any mature whitetail.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Instead of using an artificial cover scent take tcooks advice and use a scent eliminator. If you want a cover scent, try cutting off some pine boughs from the area you're hunting, and put them in the plasic tote you keep you're hunting clothes in. you'll just have to get creative on how to keep the sap from getting all over your clothes. this will give you a cover scent natural to the area.[up]

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
The deer are not going to fall for any gimmicks. Any foreign odors you put into the air is going to raise a red flag especially to any mature whitetail.
I dont know about that, this isnt the mid west this is NJ. The deer here can smell what people are cooking for diner LOL. I believe because of ther curiosity they can fall for something once, and thats all you may need.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.