New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just made up an order from Brownells and got a can to try it out. Supposedly the best there is. Any of you guys use it? Or what is your preference in bore cleaners?

·
Registered
12,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do they make boresnakes for .17cal?

·
Registered
978 Posts
I'm told that Montana Extreme is the best for removing copper fouling, but I personally have no experience with it.

I've always used Shooters Choice and have been happy with it for removing copper, so much so that I haven't bothered trying anything else. The stuff is so good in my opinion that I had to go to nylon brushes as the Shooters Choice literally eats at the phosphor bronze brushes to the point that your patches always come out blue if you use them, seems as though you never get the barrel clean when in reality, the Shooters Choice is eating at the brush when scrubbing the barrel.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
JB is a mild abrasive cleaner,will get stuff out that other cleaners will not.Its the go to cleaner Smiths use to really clean a bore.After your done with whatever you use to clean your bore,redo it with JB and see all the extra you have been missing.Bonus,I can almost bet your rifle will shoot better when your done.

·
Registered
13,234 Posts
Do they make boresnakes for .17cal?
yes they make one for all calibers i believe. There is a spot on the boresnake that has a brush built into it....about an inch after that I apply a few drops of CLP going all the way around it...just make sure u shake it before you use it....I bought one for my shotgun and with two quick passes it was squeeky clean..didnt even have to take the barell off u just open the action and drop the end down...like a long shoelace with a weight on the end...same for pistols. I bought them for all my other weapons after I saw how great and easy they worked

·
Registered
597 Posts
Mix Hoppes 75% / Shooters Choice 25% with rod and patch . Followed by BORESNAKE for shine. Then apply Miltec to condition/preserve barrel (patch and rod ). or just skip a step and apply miltec to boresnake [up]

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
I still like to asphyxiate myself with Sweet's 7.62 in the rifles. When it runs out I'd like to try something a little milder though.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
JB bore paste is a polishing compound and should not be used for regular cleaning. I use it to remove heavy fouling once in a while or to polish a chamber but wouldn't reccommend using it all the time. You can cut back on the abrasiveness by mixing some kroil in with it. For heavy copper fouling montana extreme copper killer is about the best stuff i've tried. For regular cleaning I prefer shooters choice or butches boreshine.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Do not let Sweet's touch a wood stock!
Actions always get broken out of the stock, then clamped securely in a vice upside-down securely for barrel cleaning. I never clean a gun (particularly a rifle) with the stock attached. Always clean the milsurps this way. They need lube in critical areas that isn't exposed unless the stock is removed. Trigger groups get pulled and broken down, cleaned and lightly lubed after every outing. Bolt-actions get their bolts dismantled every few hundred rounds just to make sure everything looks right inside. I review all the internals, and give everything a once-over if not for just an eyeball cursory overview to make sure nothing is amiss.

It's not so much what you lube and clean things with, it's just as important to at least do it and be attentive to everything and more importantly, know how everything should work and function.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
JB is no more abrasive than tooth paste,the only difference,JB has added chemicals.You brush your teeth everyday with no problems wearing them out.It all depends how many rounds you fire in between cleanings and what type of weapon and round you are shooting.If my groups open up for no apparent reason,I go right to the JB and there right back to where they should be.Even after doing a barrel with Barnes Copper cleaner,which is very caustic,you will still get more junk out with JB.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I use JB Bore compound when I do the break in process on all my guns...short stroke 50 JB coated patches through the gun before ever shooting, thorough cleaning then on and on between set shots until I have ran 30 rounds through my gun...my .270WSM looks like a mirror when I look inside...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts