New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting a ground blind to hunt out of....I have a perfect spot but never hunted out of one before. Any advantages? disadvantages? any advice on a specific one to get that you have been successful with? Will be hunting deer out of it with a bow. Thanks!

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have a primos its great especially with the kid or rain lots of room to move around. Only disadvantage is where I put mine I don't see deer till they are with in 30yrds. But I have killed a hand full of big does out it with my bow and kid starting at three years old 20140901_120350.jpg

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
^^ This one piece of land I bow hunt I have been using a buddy's ground blind. Same one as the one pictured above. The advantages to me are: you can get away with a little more movement when comparing it to a climber, It's one less thing you have to carry into the woods, and less noise since you dont have to climb a tree.

Disadvantages would be: your scent travels the ground, shooting is a little more difficult, and your field of view is minimized.

In this one spot there is not a single tree that I can climb with my climber so a blind is a must.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
I'm on my second one. My first was an Ameristep Posse, which they don't make anymore. I have an Ameristep Backstrap now. I also have the Ameristep Doghouse. In NJ, I only hunt out of a blind. I order them off Ebay, free shipping, usually pretty fast and cheaper than anywhere else I look. I don't need to wear camo, I usually wear black or dark brown. Disadvantage? Your smell is on the ground, you don't have the surrounding view and they are usually eye level to you so you have to be stealth. Every deer I've taken has come within 15' if not closer.

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
Ground blinds are as effective as any other blind. Like anything else, make sure you aren't directly in the line of view as animals enter your field of vision if you can and play the wind direction to your advantage. I like to brush mine in, but I've killed deer and turkeys both with and without brushing them in as well as both putting them up the day of my hunt or as much as a week or more in advance.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Disadvantage? Make sure you get one big enough so that you don't scrape the walls when you draw the bow back. Deer can hear you when you do that ;) (from personal experience :))

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
Rake all debris inside the blind. There should be only dirt so you make less noise. Don't shoot through the mesh windows! Get a comfortable swivel seat and a pee bottle.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Dude save the money build a natural one, trim some greens and pick up all dead fall branches and build around a section of a blow down,toss in a $10 camo net blanket to cover feet .This is how I did it this weekend with pretty good sightings.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
And learn from my mistake... rip those freaking mesh windows off... they make a ton of noise in the field and you don't really need them.

·
Registered
14,787 Posts
They are deadly and if you like the up close and personal they are the ticket[up]

SS!

·
Registered
350 Posts
my son and I have been using one this season -- we're on a farm with no trees on the property

both of us have taken a doe out of it last week -- only put it up when we get there -- and in 2 different spots

the deer see it but don't seem to care much --

got the thing from midway USA on clearance -- was $44 I believe

its one of those spring steel deals -- throw it on the ground and it pops open -- then you just pull it square and install the roof rods

folding it back up is easy once you learn how -- plenty of room for the 2 of us in chairs -- we are hunting crossbow -- would be hard to draw a bow

·
Registered
16 Posts
photo 2.jpg
Here is mine, I got it so my son can sit with me. It's a 2 man blind from thesportsmansguide.com. Got it for a great price. It's gigantic! plenty of room in there. I put it under my tree stand for when he comes with me. Just got to keep an eye out for the bears on the ground! I have some nice stools in there for us. plus set it up a month before your gonna use it.

·
Registered
14,787 Posts
Here is a old video but we had this buck come about 5 yards in front of the blind. They are deadly like I said and a lot of fun when your eye to eye.

SS!

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Can't deer see you if the screen mesh is off? Especially if there close?
Not if you conceal yourself well and blend in. I have bear and deer come in and never even know I'm there. I usually have the mesh of two of the windows, completely open. I wear all black, a hat, and a face mask.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Can't deer see you if the screen mesh is off? Especially if there close?
sit back in it but make sure you can still draw. I also wear black in it and have a mesh mask on when deer are around. Advantage for me is that you can eat comfortably and move a lot more, I only really use one when I hunt with the boys. Disadvantage is that you can't see them coming from great distances and when you whack one, you can't visually track as far.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Use one every winter and love it, but as others have stated, you want to get one that has room for you to move around -- not talking about doing a dance or anything, but enough room for a chair, room to draw, etc. Spend a few dollars more and get a good one and you will not be disappointed.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts