New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about selling my Outback and getting a new bow after winter bow. I want to check out the Switchback LX, Trykon, and Tribute.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
They all will take any deer out there.
I shot the Hoyt and SB/LX, nothing earth shatering.
If you want to save a pile, order a SB cam and have Ron at the Sportsmen Center put it on your OB.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
If your fixed on a Hoyt, I'd stay with their proven(UltraTec/ProTec),cam and a half models, several discussions on Archery Talk verify a fiber glict.
Here's a pic of a Trike, someone posted on AT. If I were fixed on that style bow, I get a Swithcback.
These draw unique bows really suck for the dealers, when selling and suck for the owner, when they want to sell.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Hounddawg, I heard about that too. I mentioned it in another post on here...

It happens because of the short ATA (deflects the cables more in a shorter amount of space) combined with the new zephyr cam design, and the thickness of the serving on the new fuse cables.

You can easily fix stuff like that by using a cable slide that deflects the cables less, or get an adjustable cable guard. You can also re-serve the ends of the cables with a thinner diameter serving material or replace them with different cables. Ive even heard that some people shim the cam towards the cable guard a little. I dont know if I would recommend that though. Depends on how much you have to shim the cam.

While this isnt a major problem, and any bow-shop should be able to fix it, its not cool that the bows are coming from hoyt with that problem. :(

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
No it wasnt a problem on Vtecs as far as I know Woj.[up]

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Hey Woj, what setting are your cams on? A/B/C/D/E or F?

Also, was it too short or too long for you when it arrived?

Just curious...:)

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I shoot a mathews Ultra 2 - very fast but to short a brace height and causes wrist slap in cold weather.
I was planning to look hard at the SB, so I could just transfer my sight, etc over to the new bow.

Can anyone say how much speed drop - if any you get by going to the outback vs the switch back?? I shoot 63 lbs, 28 1/2 inch carbon. The ultra 2 blasts deer, so I don't want to give that up, and buy looking at the specs of the two bows, it appears the SB is a bit faster/

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
it was set on D. i moved it down to A first but it felt to short so i moved it to B. it feels better. so it's 27.5" i guess. On saturday let me know what you think.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Thing about Matthews though is that eventually the limbs will crack. This has been a problem with most of the bows they have put out, I believe the only excpetion was the MQ2 or something like that. It happened to me. Nevertheless, the warranty does cover it and getting a limb replaced is no big deal.

Also, that pic looks like ordinary string stretching to me wich occurs on all bows that are shot on a regular basis.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
it wasnt a problem on Vtecs as far as I know
Some of Hoyts "short" 05 bows were having serving problems, especially those that went to an aftermarket cable slide. The factory Hoyt slide was recommended, because it didn't torque the fiber as much. I believe there also was an issue on some cams that had sharp edges that were cutting servings, especially when a thinner cable slide was used. That would cause the serving to catch those sharp edges. Some shooters were reporting broken servings, even with Winners Choice type fiber, in less than a couple of hundred shots.
The photo I enclosed of the spread Trykon serving, said that was less than 100 shots.

looks like ordinary string stretching to me which occurs on all bows that are shot on a regular basis
That's true to a point. Shooters today are spending more than ever and expecting more also.
Most "full time" archers/hunters in the last few years have laid out an average $650 + or - for their stick. Upon having fiber problems, laying out another $75 to $100 for "quality" fiber.
Both Hoyt and Mathews "swore" better fiber on their bows this year. I haven't heard yet from any 06 Mathews guys yet, but time will disclose that. The Trykon reports have been discussed on Archery Talk already.
When a top line/price bow is purchased and one must spend additional sums of cash to "get it right", there's something wrong with that company's quality control.
Both H and M are great at making good for product problems, but these are not new issues. They have to stop "counting jellybeans" and causing their customs, time and inconveinance's.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
In fairness to Hoyt, I'm also posting a photo of my Swithback cable. The serving slid, but it hasn't effected anything. I will either reserve it or replace it with a "quality" cable.
I have replaced the string already, which stretched excessively.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.