New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a 3/8 ar500 target from fazzios and shot it with my 30/06 with regular soft points at 100 and it left about 1/16-1/8" dimples in it. I never shot steel before but I didn't expect it to leave a dent. Is this normal?

·
Premium Member
4,189 Posts
^^^^^Ditto!!

Love shooting steel just something satisfying about hearing that "ping sound" report back.

Reactions: jerseygti337

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
Any steel fabricator or salvage yard will make you some targets at a fraction of the cost or just hook up with a guy who welds and blow some holes through a 1/2 or 3/4 plate remnant to hang from a tree. I use 1"

·
Registered
101 Posts
Any steel fabricator or salvage yard will make you some targets at a fraction of the cost or just hook up with a guy who welds and blow some holes through a 1/2 or 3/4 plate remnant to hang from a tree. I use 1"
Assuming they use hardened steel, yes... Mild steel is unsafe to shoot due to unpredictable ricochets or returns from an uneven surface.

A good AR500 steel target runs from $10 - $50 depending on the size. Hardly breaks the bank considering handguns and "small" centerfires won't even scratch them over many years of use.

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
Yes that's just what we refer to it as it is just carbon steel pretty common in steel buildings marine industry etc where the steel has to maintain a load with little structural support such as spanning frames on barges or girders in buildings.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.