New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about buying new .300 wsm rifle for deer but can use for bear and elk. Looking at the Benelli R1 comfort tech. Would like to hear opinions for round and rifle.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have the Browning A-bolt Mountain Titanium in 300 WSM. 5 pounds of deer slaying magmun power!
I use Federal premium 150 grain balistic tipped ammo.
Have shot deer from 50 yards to 240 yards and 140 llbs to 275 lb Texas giant. ALL were bang flop. Never took a step.
Love the gun. Now for elk due to the balistic tip being better for thin skinned light penitration I would step up to a 165 or 180 grain pNoslar partition in the Federal ammo line up.
I think you will love the caliber. Due to short lenght the actions are shorter therefore saving wieght. That is great when your lugging the gun on your shoulder for a while.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I have couple of A-bolt Medallions in .300 wsm. I really like the round but haven't gone for deer yet, my '06 has been good for PA deer hunting so far. Hopefully, I'll take one of the .300 wsm rifles down to N.Carlina this season on some vast farmland.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
I have a 300 wsm I bought as an impulse buy. It turned out to be a total waste of money in my opinion. The factory loads are at or near max SAAMI spec so it will run with the 300 win. The 300 win near SAAMI max will beat the wsm by a good bit. In fact a 30-06 loaded hot runs right with the 300wsm. So it is a solution without a problem. The only real benefit is a shorter bolt throw, performance wise it is not all its cracked up to be. With ammo running close to $50 a box its pretty expennsive to shoot as well. I bought it because I read it was faster than the 300 win with less powder, less recoil, etc. It is not faster, in fact it's slower than the 300 win running higher pressure than the 300 win. It will be more than enough for deer, and better suited to elk, black bear, etc. I already own a 300 win and a 30-06 so the wsm doesn't do anything those rifles wouldn't do. If I didn't own any other rifles I could see having one, however, I wouldn't make it my first choice. A 30-06 would handle all the same needs for much less $ (ammo cost), if you are looking for more speed than the 06 a 300 win or 300 wby would be a better choice. I've had mine for about 6 years and probably put 25 rounds through it. Just don't have a reason to use it. If you really want one, let me know I wouldn't mind selling mine.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
It's ok but falls inbetween the 06 and 300 win mag,alot of hype went with these rounds. If you want a light quick handleing gun they're fine but if you want true magnum performance they fall short,no pun intended. If true mag performance is what you want,take a look at the 270 weatherby mag,more energy than the 300 win mag with much less recoil.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
The round is accurate the rifle is not. You'd be better off with a regular .300 WinMag in my opinion. The ballistics are as good or better and the time proven cartridge is available in a plethora of bullets, all over the world.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
if you want true magnum
That's the drawback with the wsm's in general, a bullet has to be longer to be heavier in the same diameter and take away powder space in the case. That's why the .300 wsm's top out at 180 gr. and .300 win mags go heavier with their much longer cases. Advantage though is less recoil in the lighter bullet range and more nimble in the field. BTW, I have a Win model 70, .300 win mag with boss, supergrade stock and made in Conn. that I'd love to take plains hunting in Africa.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
i have a savage ss/snth in .300wsm
nice light gun.
i have taken a few deer with it.
i like the round a lot.

i liked that savage so much i got my dad the same gun in .270win.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Just curious....why would you pick such a whiz-bang relatively new cartridge which has decent ballistic capabilities up to 180 grs. and NOT want to put it in a solid bolt-action format that sports a good trigger? I'm not familiar with the Benelli platform, so I can't comment on it. I'm not saying it can't shoot but you hear of semi-auto's that sometimes produce erratic accuracy. And I do want to clarify that I say "sometimes". I know of Rem. 742's and Browning BAR's that can shoot very well, and they've been around a long time.

I could never see what a good handloaded .30-06 gave up to the .300WSM.....maybe 150FPS to 200FPS with some bullet weights? It's not enough to make me a convert.

PS - You also won't be able to hunt with that rifle in PA if you ever decide you'd like to go there for deer with it.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
That's the drawback with the wsm's in general, a bullet has to be longer to be heavier in the same diameter and take away powder space in the case. That's why the .300 wsm's top out at 180 gr.
Very good point. The 150's that most choose for deer don't have a very good ballistic coefficient either.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have a Winchester M70 300wsm, I lived in Alaska for 4 years and bought the rifle/caliber for that reason. I harvested 2 Bears, 2 Moose, 12 Deer. 2 Goats and 1 Dall sheep with mine I have also shot a couple of Oregon Elk as well. Everyone one of the big game animals I shot were with hand loaded 180 grain Hornady Interbond, that through my Chrony averaged 3030 fps with excellent accuracy. for a 7 1/2 lb rifle I'm confident that it will get the job done as long as I do my part and it's light enough to pack all day climbing mountians out West. It works for me because it I didn't already have a heavier 300 Win mag.

·
Registered
781 Posts
One thing to consider when buying the Benelli R1 as i was looking at the same gun is some states, like PA for example don't allow you to use a semi auto for hunting. Just something to consider i know it effected my decision.

Caliber is a personal preference you think about all the game animals killed 50 years ago with 30/30, 35 rem, etc. I am confident with the higher quality bullets we have today you will be happy with whatever you choose and it will no doubt put down the animals you named.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Jstep, myself and my two brothers all hunt out west together and shoot the Browning A-bolt 300 WSM. My Browning A-bolt 300 WSM is sighted in for 300 yards, Last year in Taxes I killed a 9 point buck at 297 yards and coyote at 310 standing and another coyote at 140 running all freehand!!! The caliber has awesome ballistics and the Browning A-bolt is dead nut accurate!! Buy one hands down!! I retired my Weatherby 7MM mag!!

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
#1 Stick with a bolt action. #2.300 Win mag will give you more ammo choices..

I own a .300 wsm..No problems or complaints with it.. Used it for sheep in Alaska and deer in Maine..Does the job..

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
...makes it tougher to make a decision.
Nah, just a more expensive decision 'cause you won't be able to live with yourself until you have both, a .300 wsm 'n a .300 win mag.;) Besides, that's why most of us are here posting and not on the yachts we could've had if we were a little more decisive.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Your best bet would be to go with the 270WSM, as opposed to the 300WSM.
The 270 is the only cartridge built on the short-mag platform that actually shows a noticeable advantage to its non-magnum counterpart.
It fits right in between the 270Win and the 270 Wthby, and should be plenty for deer and elk.
I would also agree to stick with the bolt gun.
I was in your exact shoes several years ago, and finally decided on the 270WSM in a bolt-action gun.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.